Thread: Stringer replacement question..?

Back Forty
    As some of you have noticed I have an on going thread on a resto 75 SleekCraft.
    Here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...raft+sportster)
    I'm swapping from shorty stringers to full length. I was prepared to replace the old shorty 1.5" wide stringers with full length 1.5" stringers. Something keeps bashing me over the head about all of the full length stringer boats I see pics of around here. Boats that are around 18-19' that is. They all seem to have stringers no wider than about an inch..? I bought kiln dried douglas fir at two inch thickness available to me at either 2" or 1" thick. I was simply going to plane down and then do a finish prep at 1.5". Seems to me that the 1" may be the better route. Can any buddy (Old Rigger etc.) tell about any standards..?
    Thanks again,
    Dustyglass Charlie Eight BF.

BigBlockBaja
    are you going to keep posting pics on that other thread? I would love to keep following the progress..

Back Forty
    are you going to keep posting pics on that other thread? I would love to keep following the progress..
    Yep. Just trying to work between werkin'! As soon as I figure out my little stringer issue I'll get to the next pic's. I just ordered a vacuum pump (gast model 1/3 HP, 26 Hg, 4.5 CFM Rotary Vane Pump) and all of the stuff to vacuum bag the new glass work includin' the transom. I'm excited. Florida guys check out "Avla Kiln Dried Hardwoods" for materials. Excellent little source. I bought some materials to do some pattern work for tooling on some "sleekcraft" Olds valvecovers also. Moving right along.

tahitijet
    I always thought they were 2x4 (1.5"x3.5") then round off the corners.. I've never seen one out of 1" but then agian i've never paid attention. I did mine from 2x4's

rerfert
    I know it's not a jet.... this is one that we thought we would tackel....just becuase it was free
    http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/alb..._006.sized.jpg
    We also used treated 2x4"s and a 2x8 up the middle...turned out fine.
    you can check out the full thread here
    http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...opic=44666&hl=

maxwedge
    I thought you were crazy, but then I saw the finished pics. Now I Know that I'm just lazy and un-motivated. I'm now going to the garage to finish my easy 4x4 project tonight. All it needs, is new everything.