Thread: Remote Oil Filters

AZKC
    Picked up a spin-on adapter and a remote mount for a BBC. So as I'm messing with it, the misses chimes in "Hey did you see this" It has a sticker on the packaging saying its not for marine use eek! Is this a Coast Gaurd thing or something else?? Heres the spin-on adapter...
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/oil_pan_main_studs0021.JPG[/img]
    KC

The only thing different is the marine versions come hard anodized to prevent corrosion to my knowledge. These work fine if not in salt water. On these cast ones though be careful not to overtighten it onto the bypass (the bypass casting will break). We have a bypass eliminator billet part to solve that problem if you want to do away with the bypass. Also don't overtighten the pipe fittings into the casting as it will crack easily. We also make a billet bypass adapter to get around that problem. Cast one will work fine though if you're careful.

AZKC
    Thanks Mike,
    That explains it. PM me or post $$$ for the pieces. Still got a little room on the Visa...
    KC

LeE ss13
    Rexone:
    We have a bypass eliminator billet part to solve that problem if you want to do away with the bypass So let me see if I have this right. You sell a device to "eliminate" the oil bypass, so that when the engine oil is cold and thick and doesn't flow well through the filter, little will go to lube the rest of the engine. Or ... if the filter gets clogged up, for whatever reason, No Oil will get to the rest of the engine ??? Actually, the biggest concern for a remote filter is to make sure you don't cross up the hoses. Oil will only flow through a filter one way. I had a friend that took his cruiser in for an oil change, and they crossed the hoses. 10 minutes of running and the engine locked up.
    [ February 20, 2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: LeE ss13 ]

AZKC
    Ok that sounds something to look out for, probably why they give ya the really small piece of paper that easy to lose with the ins and outs marked.
    Mike, rebutals to the bypass would be helpful
    KC

JetBoatRich
    Sure make changing the oil easy and cleaner.
    REXONE stopped by your booth Tuesday and missed you. Great looking booth.
    I don't want to steal this thread, but I had a thread going about a belt problem, do you carrie replacement tensioner? See picture(s) on link
    BELT PROBLEM

Sorry been at the boat show and didn't see this thread till now. No luck on the tensioner Rich, don't carry B&M stuff. Probably have to get from a Holley speed equip outlet since I believe they bought all the BM blower stuff about 3+ years ago. You might try Hawaii racing in Simi or R&E Racing in Lancaster...both have good inventories on Holley (not sure on B&M).
    On the bypass eliminator... oil bypass has always been a subject of disagreement between engine builders it seems. We make the bypass eliminator for those who prefer to rely on filter bypass. The stock Chevy bypass casting have a history of breaking in high demand (vibrating) applications with long (heavy) filters (possibly overtightened as well being a contributing factor). Their view is that a filter bypass is better than a filter in the bilge, broken off. In any event that's what prompted the bypass eliminator piece to be made many years ago. The threory is that if the remote filter gets enough crap in it to plug it up bypassing that crap to the bearings through the stock bypass casting would only delay the explosion a few seconds anyway. I'm not sure I agree with this theory 100%, especially when the plugging substance might be water instead of metal particles. But on the other hand my understanding is that if it is water involved it should not clog the internal filter bypass. I would have to agree though if there's enough "metal" in the filter to plug it solid the bypass casting isn't going to save that engine by bypassing metal laden oil to the bearings. There seem to be plenty of builders who like this theory as we've sold several hundred of these little units. I'll have a picture online within a few days on the website of all the remote oil stuff including this bypass eliminator piece.
    Along the same lines, every time you bolt an Olson Cooler on you do the same thing...bypass casting goes bye bye and you're relying on the oil filter bypass to circulate oil. Plenty of Olsons out there runnin successfully for decades.
    Now for those who want to retain the stock bypass casting, we also make a "spin-on" oil take off piece to a remote filter (billet piece with pipe threads). Also carry the spin on Perma Cool cast units. Just don't overtighten either of these on that little stock bypass casting or you'll bust it right in half.
    Hope some of that makes sense, its late and I'm tired.

JetBoatRich
    Thanks RexOne, R&E does not stock it. They have to call, I will go by tomorrow and have them order one.

superdave013
    LeE ss13:
    Rexone:
    We have a bypass eliminator billet part to solve that problem if you want to do away with the bypass So let me see if I have this right. You sell a device to "eliminate" the oil bypass, so that when the engine oil is cold and thick and doesn't flow well through the filter, little will go to lube the rest of the engine. Or ... if the filter gets clogged up, for whatever reason, No Oil will get to the rest of the engine ??? Larry, That's why you run a Baldwin #279 oil filter. It has the bypass built into it.

AZKC
    Thanks again Mike. I'm going to try out the Permacool type that I have and keep an eye on it.
    KC