Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: adding more boost..have ?'s.

cyclone
    motor: tall deck 572 cid Chevy, AFR315cnc heads, JE 8.8:1 static cr pistons, lunati crank, 8-71 Weiand huffer, Superchiller innerecooler, holley 1000cfm HP series carbs. Cam is custom mechanical roller .680/.687 260 at .050 Comp Cam.
    motor has a really flat power curve that peaks at 6,300 rpm. From 6,100-6,500 rpm motor only varies 12 hp up or down.
    currently running a 43t 8mm top pulley and 52t lower pulley. blower is making 7.5 psi.
    I have a 1600-75 belt and its stretched to the max. Can't adjust pulley size to make more boost and to be honest i think i'm spinning the blower to fast now anyway.
    Was thinking of going to a 10-71 and dominator carbs. i'd like to put 10 psi to the motor and was wondering if 0-ringing the block is necessary? What will the additional boost do to the peak power number? will it move the the curve upward?
    right now the engine is matched perfectly to my jet boat's impeller and turning 6,350 in the boat. would like to see 6,700-6,800 rpm after adding more boost. what do you guys think?

motor: tall deck 572 cid Chevy, AFR315cnc heads, JE 8.8:1 static cr pistons, lunati crank, 8-71 Weiand huffer, Superchiller innerecooler, holley 1000cfm HP series carbs. Cam is custom mechanical roller .680/.687 260 at .050 Comp Cam.
    dont lie.

cyclone
    me? never.

TIMINATOR
    Raising the boost will allow you to rev higher,it won't require it. The HP will rise everywhere in the power curve,assuming that the blower isn't out of its efficiency range(thats where additional overdrive only creates heat,not usable boost). In my humble opinion, going to a 10-71 is a waste of cash, the change will usually only net about 2-3 lbs of boost. A 14-71 spun slower will heat the air less and provide as much boost as you can probably stand. Looks much cooler too! Comparing my 8-71 to my 14-71 on my 572 or 565, there is about 40 degrees cooler air, and I can run only 7% over to get the same boost as 32% with the 8-71. Fel-pro 'o'ring gaskets are good to about 17 lbs, with no detonation, and a flat deck and head surface(CBN diamond milled). TIMINATOR

Well ... my opinion ... bigger is always better, your supercharger is a street supercharger ... not built for race ... Weiands (as you know) are out of the box blowers with bores that are never close to being true. You have a superchiller that takes a lot of ari and your running that blower at 21% over ... you're spinning the crap out of it to make 7.5 lbs of boost. When you spin them that hard and only get that boost, you've got heated air and you'll loose power there ...
    Your cubes = 1471, black anodized rotors with strips. Yes a stripped rotor bolwer ... you could run it at 10% and get an honest 8 lbs of boost that isn't a heated charge ... this would result in more HP due to a cooler charge.
    An 871 has 16" rotors I bleive and a 1471 has 19" rotors ... so you figure that that extra 3" will equate to a lot more air ... so you can turn it slower ... and make more HP.
    A 1071 would definately help ... but with your size engine ... I would step up. but I think I've already had that conversation w/ you.
    Glad to hear that you're looking to move up ... call Willis ... get his 1071 or even better, his 1471 ... a perfect set up for you!

How much weight will the 10 add? What about a 14?
    Dont lie Mike, I heard your full of shit when it comes to your motor.

Well his blower is pretty heavy already. The casting on the Weiands is based on an original GM casting ... really thick. The redesigned casings for performance blowers took a lot of that out ... he's only looking about 15 to 20 lbs different if that.

cyclone
    How much weight will the 10 add? What about a 14?
    Dont lie Mike, I heard your full of shit when it comes to your motor.
    i heard the same about you but i knew better.

cyclone
    Well his blower is pretty heavy already. The casting on the Weiands is based on an original GM casting ... really thick. The redesigned casings for performance blowers took a lot of that out ... he's only looking about 15 to 20 lbs different if that.
    i think i'll take the chiller off at the races and that will offset the weight difference between the 8 and 14.
    Then again i heard willis practically melted his blower on sunday from running back to back passes. Someone said it got so hot that it locked up?

Unchained
    Well.....my opinion.....I guess you already know it

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast