Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat insurance...WTF

framer1
    With no lay up! :rollside:
    I only have 6 months lay up for that great price :yuk: Right now my lay up is nov. thru April I'm wondering if I can get a better deal by having my lay up May thru Oct. Maybe even Jan thru Dec.

Burley1
    Not that it will make anyone feel better, but I pay $710.00 a year for my 26' Stoker with twin wakkers and thats full coverage and no lay up.

02HoWaRd26
    Thats outta control I am paying 800 a year with oct-march outta the water according to the ins. its still covered in the storage at that time though

riverroyal
    So whats the deal???
    Tunnel style deck boats are cheaper to insure???
    Are these not considered cats???
    Am I missing something here???
    Yep, I'm a little confussed :squiggle:
    the deck makes it less,family boat,not performance.Also staying under 500 CU ,496 was cheap,525 went through the roof.The best thing is getting the 496HO with a good drive and steering then building the 496,if you need the speed,its a deck boat,I believe 70mph is plenty.But its only a matter of time,and insurance companies will raise the rates,deck boats are selling great,they are missing out on some spendy premiums.

Blacksheep
    Yep! :wink: $735.00
    I'm about the same as Shadow...05 27 Shadow w/ Ilmor 550....$900/yr with Allstate

Pro Max
    2006 Magic Deck
    496 HO
    no lay up
    $635.00 year
    State Farm In Havasu

Washed Ashore
    I know this question has been beaten to death,Markel said not a chance,and has no sugestions!!I am waiting on calls from Loyds of London and Ogilvy & Ogilvy from Canada?Does any one have any leads??????????????????
    Jeff

Magic34
    The companies outside the US are a huge gamble.
    Markel and ACE (Sea Safe) are the only 2 tickets in town. They are both out of control on pricing.
    I am working on a few things for insurance, but have no idea if they are going to work.
    I am going to try and get a dealers license and put everything under that. Operate it like a biz, and sell 2-3 things a year through it. Since I normally sell 1-2 of my personal vehicles/toys a year anyways, I figure buy a $1000 car and sell it for $1100 to look like a legit biz. It is far fetched, but I am going to try. I don't think that this could be $7k/year.

79 HUSTLER
    Markel and ACE (Sea Safe) are the only 2 tickets in town. They are both out of control on pricing.
    I am working on a few things for insurance, but have no idea if they are going to work.
    I am going to try and get a dealers license and put everything under that. Operate it like a biz, and sell 2-3 things a year through it. Since I normally sell 1-2 of my personal vehicles/toys a year anyways, I figure buy a $1000 car and sell it for $1100 to look like a legit biz. It is far fetched, but I am going to try. I don't think that this could be $7k/year.
    There is a few peeps on here that do it like that and it seems to work great for them. They are also covered with their ins. on others boats.

BADBLOWN572
    I am doing that right now legitimately through our wooden boat company. It is a pain in the ass to setup, but it works if you do. The only problem is that occasionally the insurance adjuster will "stop by" your shop and inspect your business liscense, working conditions, inventory, etc... We set it up as a service company in the past and it was $2200 a year for anyone on the company payroll, or owners, and that was for $1,000,000/$2,000,000 coverage and full replacement value. I was covered on anything from a Bayliner to a full on offshore race boat.
    Where it gets tricky is the technicalities. You are only allowed to use the boat for "business purposes." There are ways around it, but it is a headache.
    Can it be done, absolutely. Is it worth it, not in every situation. By the time you get done with your $$$ for the corporation, $$$ attorneys fees, $$$ accountants fees, $$$ taxes, $$$ business liscenses, etc... a lot of the time it is not financially worth it. I did it because I could not get insurance on my boat what so ever. Not even Markel would touch it with a young driver and a 25' boat with 1k h.p.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast