Thread: Gas tank sub enclosure?

maxwedge
    I have access to a couple of small rectangular aluminum fuel tanks. They are just over 1 cubic foot each. A friend of mine suggested that he could boil them out to remove the gas fumes (he works at a radiator shop) and I could use them as light weight sub enclosures in my boat. Anyone see why this might not work? I know I have seen some a aluminum enclosures in cars, but it doesn't seem to be real common. Is the main reason cost or sound quality?

OldYeller
    The one problem that I see is that the tank will flex. A sub enclosure needs to be rigid to withstand the pulses of the sub. I dont think that you would be happy with the results.

maxwedge
    The tanks came off some sort of farm equioment and the aluminum on these things seem pretty thick (maybe 5/16) so I don't think it would flex too much, but I was kinda wondering about the potential for rattleing and buzzing though. I guess since it's only going to cost me the time it takes to cut the holes, it may be worth a shot anyway.

Phat Matt
    What does your wife think?

Tom Brown
    That gas tank idea sounds perfect. Cut the fill neck to the desired port length, install the speaker, and you're good to go.
    To really sweeten the sound to competition levels... you might want to dope up the fuel sender with some silicone to keep it from rattling and stuff a rag in the output bung. :idea: