Thread: MSD Won't Fit

1972hallett
    I just bought a new MSD billet distributor for my 460 FORD and it won't fit! The portion that goes in the block looks exactly the same but it stops about 1 1/2 inches before the seal. Anybody have the same experience? Any suggestions.

Glencoe MiniDay
    I s the oilpump drive shaft hanging it all up??

502 JET
    I just bought a new MSD billet distributor for my 460 FORD and it won't fit! The portion that goes in the block looks exactly the same but it stops about 1 1/2 inches before the seal. Anybody have the same experience? Any suggestions.
    Measure your old and new distributors with a caliper or micrometer to see if there is any difference.If there is o rings on the shaft try it without them.

First, make sure the old and new are the same.
    If you have a 1/4" drive 5/16" deep socket, put it on a long extension and slightly rotate the pump drive. Reinstall the dist and as you lower it down, it will mesh the drive gears and try to go down over the pump drive at about the same time. You may have to rotate the shaft a few times to get it right. Be careful not to drop anything in the pan! Moving the dist shaft back and forth as you gently push down may help.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Sometimes Ford oil pump shafts flop off to one side and won't allow the dist to seat. Take a flashlite and look down in the middle bottom of the dist hole. Some times a glob of grease will hold it in the center till the dist is installed. Budlight

bigblockbill
    another thing you can do is put the dist in until it stops then crank the motor over while gently pushing down on the dist. When the oil pump shaft gets aligned correctly it will fall right into place

1972hallett
    Got it!!! Thanks for the help!

502 JET
    Got it!!! Thanks for the help!
    Well what was holding it up?

1972hallett
    The oil pump drive shaft. I had the hammer ready in case moving the saft didn't work.