Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muffler Recommendation for 502 Gentry Turbo V-Drive

SGettmann
    Hallett, the motor was originally built up by Louis Motorsports there in Havasu City. Rework has been done by Boost Works in Southern Cal. Al at Boostworks has been great with informatino. It seems that everyone else knows more about my boat than I do. It runs strong, the compression check came out good - 124 PSI on each Cyliner, and I change the oil on her every third run. I hear that making the turbos last has alot to do with keeping the oil clean and the impellar in good shape, free of debris. I like to run her up a little, but generally keep my foot out of it until she starts to get loaded up a little. I pull the plugs regularly to check them. There is a jessle system on there, so I don't need to run the valves, but I do need to get the timing mark set on the fly wheel so I can run the timing. I believe that I was told 30% advanced, but I'll better determine that when my dad shows me a few things over winter break. I know all about wrenching on high end triathlon bikes, relatively new to performance motors, though have some really good mentors in the family. One roll away is stacked with tools, need to get another one to support the additional gear needed.
    For Gentry Turbo systems, check in with Brummett Marine. I called and talked to I believe Karl over at Brummet Marine. Very helpful and down to earth. (most see to be very sharing and giving of information in this sport ) I'll have to look up his number, but a good source to look into. Also check in with Louis Motorsports. My dad had a hard time getting a cam ticket information out of him on this motor, but he may be a bit more helpful with you. I haven't met him personally, so I can't express an opinion. I can say if he built the motor that I have, he did do a nice job and the motor has held up well. In seeing Ken's Vector, which is set up similarly by Louis, he does very nice work. Also, Lee over at Schiada would be a good source to check in with on who to talk to. When I first started out, I was on the email with Lee several times a day. He was very helpful. I've got alot to learn in this sport. Take my time, wear my life jacket, and keep my foot out of it while having a great time.
    Sean

I would like to know a little about the outboard rudder assembly on your boat. Can you tell me the advantages and any drawbacks you might have by using it? I have seen a couple of them but never had a chance to find out the thinking behind them yet.
    Thanks, Steve

weekendwarrior
    [QUOTE=Riverkid]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2880DSCN0251_Large_.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...255_Large_.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...256_Large_.jpg
    That is a beautiful boat. Is that a delta pad or an externally mounted plate for the steering? Does the center plate move with the rest of the plates? Either way, that is a really cool looking set up.

bocco
    [QUOTE=Riverkid]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2880DSCN0251_Large_.jpg
    I'm currious about the plate setup on this boat. Mostly the center plate that looks like it's a little higher than the outer plates. Is the bottom of the boat flat on that spot? I have an Eliminator cruiser that has plates with a 12" gap at the center. What does the center plate do?
    Thanks
    Gary

SGettmann
    Bocco and Weekend Warrior.
    Thank you for the compliments on my 21' Schiada. I'm proud of her, but need to give credit to the former owner, Pete Mitchel, NWSRA#34 for having the layup done. I know that both Lewis Motor Sports and BoostPower did allot of the work on it, both motor and rigging work. It's an 83, and in almost flawless condition. The motor is out of her now, which I'm going through and checking with my dad. It's a father/son project and a good chance for me to justify buying another roll away and going nuts on Craftsman gear.
    To answer the center cavitatin plate question. Schiada have a V (12 degree rise I recall) and no flat spot on the bottom . The center plate is actually a blast plate to keep the rooster tail down so that the observer can see the skier. It is fixed and does not move with the left and right cavitation plates. Currently, around 80 mph or so (I'm guessing since only a tack on no GPS), there is a slight roostertail that comes just above the transom, but its only 10 feet long or so. It doesn't interfear with the observer's site of the skier on a 150-200 foot line.
    The external rudder question. It is said that these are faster, but I don't have enough experience to agree/disagree. They look cool and different, and it gets more hardware out of the bilge of your boat. My dad has a 20' Schiada set up for ski racing with a traditional rudder box. Mitch Lempke set his up out of Speed and Marine in Southern Cal (no longer around). The fin is about 2 feet in front of the V-Drive, where mine is even with the V-Drive. My dad's 20' can out turn mine hands down (I think Mitch set my dad's boatup as a GN boat with an observer seat, since this was his background). I would have a better idea if I moved my fin forward for comparison. In talking to Lee Spindler about it, he recommends sticking with the stock/traditional steering setup. Try dropping him a line over at Schiada Boats, he's full of knowledge and very helpful. I'm just starting out myself and learning allot as I go. I dove in full boar with this boat, but wanted a NWSRA boat since I grew up speed ski racing in my younger years and want to get back into it.
    Sean

fc-pilot
    This has been great info for me. My father bought a 21' Schiada also that is twin turbo and is set up very similar to yours. It has the rudder inside the transom, other than that they are alike. We are in need of doing some things to ours to clean up some stuff and fix a few problems. Our exhaust is set up just the same and are debating running it through the transom. That is still up in the air though. As far as turning goes, they don't turn like our flats, and imagine that is just the nature of these beasts. Oh well, they still are great.
    Paul

As owner of a turbo boat with dry up-pipes I can tell you turbos are inherently quiet relevant to blown or N/A engines.
    If I was going to address the noise issue with mine (I'm sure its close to passing as it sits), I'd mfg some water jacketed thru transom pipes and probably incorporate a chamber that at least appeared externally like a muffler in the pipe. Dump the water in near the end and my bet is they'd be plenty quiet to pass CA noise law being turboed. And you'd have minimal if any power loss with that method.

sawtooth
    Sean, very nice looking boat. I have a '77 21RC but it pales in comparason to yours and Bobs or all the other ones I have seen on here for that matter. I am doing a compleate redo on the boat and was wondering if you would be willing to share some of your set up with me like the distance from the transome to the motor, transom to v drive center plate, transom to strut,and transom to fin. I have e mailed Stan at Schiada a couple times at the recomendation of Huffpower here on the boards but never got any replys :cry: . Any info you could share would be great, thanks.
    Chris

boat 124
    Very nice looking boat looks like its set up right. love the cap
    and the external rudder can we get some info on the motor
    realy like the tubo motors. i have been thinking about building
    one soon. i think obnoxious might still have gentry turbo
    for sale .
    I have a 21' hallett twin turbo for sale. Didn't know if you were still looking.

SGettmann
    I have a 21' hallett twin turbo for sale. Didn't know if you were still looking.
    Boat 124 - Is your 21' a vector? V-Drive, I/O? Mechanical plates? Let's see some pictures?
    Sawtooth - No problem on getting your measurements. I'll need to get them for you, but I will be at the barn wrenching on Thursday. The motor is out and I'm taking care of some maintenance and checking work. (checking clearances on the main caps and inspecting bearings) If they look good, put her back together. If doesn't look so good, then my winter work will take a little longer that I thought. Thank you again for the compliments. I am proud of her. As far as getting ahold of Lee, interesting - he has always been fantastic with answering questions. If anything, I think that many of my questions may have Lee rolling his eyes at me, but I know I have allot to learn about my boat and I'm not afraid to ask. I haven't been sent to his spam folder yet, that I'm aware of. Of course, in a few years, I wouldnt mind getting a new 24' Schiada with a single engine, twin I/O set ups. That would kick some ass, but I need to finish paying off my truck and boat first. I also may want to grow up and buy a house at some point too, can't always live in college-ville apartment living. Atleast I'm able to have my living room look like an engine shop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast