Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 557 scat

HOSS
    What was your compression before shaving the heads? Isn`t a DOVE head 70cc to begin with?

tahiti cowboy
    I wanted to buid a 557 too butt I spoked to a ford racing service that builds these all the time and they said that the 4.5 stroke crank was weaker than the 4.3 with 6.7 or 6.8 rods so my next moter will be a 520 ci. thats only 0.30 over if you want to stay with the 557 ci. thats a .080 over acording to the kit spec if I went to 080 over with a 4.3 stroke it would make a 532 ci BUTT i did not want to take that much out of a good std block if you have any questions about this set up give these guys a call thats all the do is ford engines its shannons the # 989-529-4917

steelcomp
    No matter what you do for heads, you need to have them flowed, and then talk to CStraub for a cam. Personally, I'd dump the DOVE's and go with the BT's, either alum. or iron. If you stick with the DOVE's, be careful who ports them. Just making them "bigger" isn't necessarily a good thing...the ports need to be re-contoured in critical areas. Removing as little as .010" from the wrong place and you can go backwards. Valve job is critical, and static compression is irrelevant as long as the relationship between the piston and chamber is such that you'll get a clean burn. If you are having your heads ported, there's chamber work that can be done to help this.
    Head flow numbers are only part of the equation...you want the flow to be clean, and not turbulant. Anyone can port a head, few can do it correctly. Forget the TR and dual carbs, unless you just want it for looks. The TR's that are out there for BBFords suck. You'd be better off with a big Dominator on a single plane.
    This isn't really hi tech race-only stuff...just things to think about when building a performance engine, if your engine builder knows what he's doing.
    Just my .02

Squirtin Thunder
    What was your compression before shaving the heads? Isn`t a DOVE head 70cc to begin with?
    The D0VE heads range from 73cc - 75cc on norm, but I have seen some that are as big as 78cc. My goal was to get as close to 13-1 as I could get, with out changing piston design. With guesstimating cc average and proven facts, by taking .035 on the 74cc chamber it brought it down to 70cc. We should be at 12.8-1. One thing I noticed was the chambers are more uniform now. I have not cc them yet, after milling, to be sure, but they all look to be nearly the same.

akjet
    hey guys i got a set of blue thunders for sale sed years ready to go stage three porting pulled good numbers on my 557 was around 800 hp pushed my 21 hallet at 89 mph even better in the 19 daytona.

akjet
    also ran the weiand tunnel ram with dual 750 holleys ran great fired on first turn over excellent throttle response and so much power that i could make theboat jump out of the water about a foot if wanted.

HOSS
    Tell me more about the Blue Thunder heads. Its peaked my interest. Better than Trick Flow? I wanna run a roller setup.

HOSS
    Not sold on a tunnel ram either. Really looking at a 4500 dominator carb. Tell me what you think LO.

dmontzsta
    Not sold on a tunnel ram either. Really looking at a 4500 dominator carb. Tell me what you think LO.
    Run a Victor Jr, single carb setup. Have them port matched to the heads, that is a kick ass setup, with a nice big carb.
    Here is some info on the Blue Thunder Heads.
    http://www.bluethunderauto.com/
    I personally like the chevy exhaust flange. It makes it alot easier to buy exhaust, we all know how plentiful the chevy stuff is.
    Here is the info on the TF heads.
    http://www.trickflow.com/product/for...pr_429_460.asp
    Hope that helps. The awesome thing about alluminum heads is the weight reduction. Also, they work great on n/a motors, like the one you are building. The downside, a little more $$$. The good thing about cast heads is you can always say they are "stock", no matter how much work you have done.

HOSS
    LakesOnly,,,what cam do you recommend? Not necessarily size but type. Hydraulic, solid roller?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast