Thread: Son's Homework history question:

Flying Tiger
    When Napolian left Egypt and returned to France,, did he abandon his Army and leave it there in Egypt?
    We found some info about his amazing invasion and occupation,, but little on his (perhaps catastropic) return to France.
    Thanks,

Steve 1
    What I remember from world history he did leave part of his Army there.

canuck1
    he ran and left 20000ish troups

Flying Tiger
    Thank you.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Interesting subject (finally), My history book came out.
    1798, Napoleon raised an expeditionary force of just under 40,000 men which included scientists, engineers and 25,000 veteran troops .
    On 21 July they drew within sight of Cairo and were treated to an awe-inspiring view of the Pyramids, and a massive Mameluke army of more than 100,000 men drawn up ready for battle but divided by the Nile river. The malemukes lost & retreated.
    In February of 1799, Bonaparte marched at the head of 13,000 men towards Syria, where the Syrian leader, Djezzar Pasha, had organised a huge army to attack Egypt.
    Napoleon discovered that his army's large-calibre siege guns had been captured by a British naval officer, Sir William Sidney Smith.
    On 5 April, Gen Junot beat off an attack near Nazareth and when Gen Kleber was sent to reinforce him, he found his own 1500 troops facing 35,000 men under the Pasha of Damascus.
    He still had one more battle to be fought in Egypt, however, and at Aboukir where Mustapha Pasha's 15,000 men faced Bonaparte's 10,000. The battle was decided when General Joachim Murat led the French cavalry against the enemy commander and captured him.
    On 22 August, Bonaparte sailed for France with his closest friends and supporters. Behind him he left his French army (Somewhat under 10,000 men), under Kleber, he sailed for his home.
    http://www.napoleonguide.com/campaign_egypt.htm

Steve 1
    Side note I think it was a Napoleons guy's who shot the nose off the Sphinx

Seadog
    After the French navy eluded Nelson in route, the british admiral caught the fleet at anchor while Napolean was taking Cairo. The entire fleet was sunk, leaving the French stranded. It was also there that Napolean learn about the affair Josephine was having with a young leutenant. That discovery was to cause him to lose his idealism and become a driven tyrant. It was interesting that he got bent over her affair because one of his officers brought his long legged blonde wife with him. Shortly after arrival, the officer went home and the wife stayed with Napolean.
    I think there was an insurection because of the crueties of the French and because they were desecrating the mosques. Some were turned into cafes and most had to display the French flag. After one incident, Napolean ordered an entire tribe beheaded and in the middle of the community emptied large sacks with the heads onto the ground.