Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CONNECTING ROD BRANDS

obnoxious001
    I think you will find that there are several stories, but that actually there are several Chinese plants that closely copy each other in the manufacture of high performance parts, connecting rods included. I have assembled engines with Carrillo, Oliver,Lunati, Crower, Eagle, Cat and other rods. The Eagle and the Cat, although very similar are definately not identical, the machining marks are different. I have compared them side by side. The Eagle parts tend to have a nicer, better finished look, including their crankshafts, than the Cat. I have had fine success so far with Cat parts, and the balance shop that I use in Southern California that has catered to all of the best engine builders in the area for many years says the Cat tolerences are tighter. My advice using any of hte more budget parts would be to either measure and inspect them closely, or if you have not got the tools or experience to do so, have your machine shop check them closely. The supplier I buy from sends them out for inspection before they sell them to anyone.
    Barry

To Lakesmodified and anyone else who is interested, In my humble opinion I think any aftermarket rod is better than a stock rod if for nothing else the material used. You cannot compare mild steel [SAE 1040] to SAE C.M. 4140 or 4340 steel. Even if the C.M. rods were lighter and look skinnier than the stock rods just due to material they will be stronger. If for nothing else a new rod has not had the stress cycles in it the used rod has just by being used. When in doubt replace with new.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12