Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hvac?????

AZKC
    Since Winter finally hit here, the newer heat pump unit i got about 2 years ago seems to be lacking on the ability to warm the house when the temps are below 45* outside. I paid for aux heating coils but I dont think they are working or are not there Its a 12.5 Carrier mounted on roof and the air mover is inside where the furnace used to be. House is only 1400 sq ft. Looking thru the paper work it describes they installed the emergncy coils and I have the paper work for them but I don't see them inside(if I'm looking in the right place). I know heat pumps don't work well below 40* but this thing is running all the time and the tstat is only set at 68*. The A/C side of it will freeze you out but the heating side blows(har har)

Sleek-Jet
    Ending up with a little "nip-ature" in the mornings are we???

AZKC
    Ending up with a little "nip-ature" in the mornings are we???
    Hell no I don't get out of bed till BC gets the space heater going in our room :crossx:

AZKC
    AZKC check out this forum
    http://www.hvac-talk.com (http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1)
    Great another forum :rollside:
    I'll check it out thanks

Sleek-Jet
    Hell no I don't get out of bed till BC gets the space heater going in our room :crossx:
    I wasn't talking about you.... :crossx:

NorCal Gameshow
    Great another forum :rollside:
    I'll check it out thanks
    here's a sample post from there
    "Is the system properly charged....a majority of poor heating calls with a heat pump are due to over-charging....most likley because refrigerant charge was adjusted with a ahort-cut method in the cooling season.
    Slab construction can be a pain in the heating season...but thats not the fault of the heat pump...but of the building
    As to heat pumps not heating below 30F...thats crap...I have a 14 seer 7.0 HSPF heat pump that keeps my house toasty on a 18F day....as long as their is no precipitation(snow,freezing rain..ect) with very little 2nd stage operation...and my bills last year were cheap!"

NorCal Gameshow
    if you ever do any tiling ....www.johnbridge.com

AZKC
    here's a sample post from there
    "Is the system properly charged....a majority of poor heating calls with a heat pump are due to over-charging....most likley because refrigerant charge was adjusted with a ahort-cut method in the cooling season.
    Slab construction can be a pain in the heating season...but thats not the fault of the heat pump...but of the building
    As to heat pumps not heating below 30F...thats crap...I have a 14 seer 7.0 HSPF heat pump that keeps my house toasty on a 18F day....as long as their is no precipitation(snow,freezing rain..ect) with very little 2nd stage operation...and my bills last year were cheap!"

FHI-prez
    Very easy to find out if you have the aux coils hooked up. There are two placements for your heat switch on your t-stat (if you have a thermostat capable running a heat pump, which may be the problem actually). One setting is the normal heat setting which should be labled simply "heat". The other setting will be labled "emergency heat". You can not run the heat strips and the heat pump at the same time (unless the t-stat is wired incorrectly).
    Now, set the t-stat to "emergency heat" and see if hot air comes out of the register. If there is hot air coming out of the register, go outside and see if the condenser on your roof is running. The "emergency heat" setting should only allow your inside air handler with the aux heat strips to run. The outside unit should not run in this mode. If the outside unit is running when you have the t-stat set on "emergency heat" then the t-stat is wired incorrectly. If there is hot air coming out of your registers and the outside unit isn't running, then the aux heat strips are working. That reminds me, the labeling on your t-stat may be "heat" and "aux heat" instead of "emergency heat" for the latter setting. It's the same thing, just different labeling from that certain t-stat manufacturer.
    Next turn the unit to the off position and let it sit for a minute or two. Then turn it to the "heat" setting and see if hot air comes out of the registers. Your compressor/condenser should be running on your roof. If both units are running and no heat comes out, you may have a stuck reversing valve. There is no easy way to tell if both are running (heat strips and heat pump) other that the air coming out of the registers will be much hotter because both the heat pump and heat strips are working in coincidence. This would be considered a fire hazard and an AC tech should be called to fix it (just wrong wiring in the t-stat again probably). Not to mention running both the heat pump and heat strips at the same time would cost a fortune in heating bills.
    Hope this helps, any questions, post em here.
    Nick

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast