Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercs New 4 Stroke Super Charged Ob

wsuwrhr

stoker2001
    This is the boat bigjoeduckslayer is talking about as we have chased the daytona around the delta on multiple hundred mile plus cruises trying to blow up our junk.Billy b is right on the money about the noise with Verado verses Optimax as i run the new 2006 250XS on our 224 Stoker and it friggen amazes me everytime i go for a ride in the Daytona how smooth and quite it is.As for fuel mileage we are pedal down for most of the time and supercharged motors arent really fuel sqeezers when on the boost so the direct injected Optimax is a little better.Steve and Scott have recently installed some trick hydraulic/electric adjustable tunnel tab/trim plates and now want to try and redeem themselfs in a drag race.They now call me ALOF "always low on fuel" http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...e_016small.JPG

Riverkid
    Lou at Lakeland Marine in Havasu City put a 275 Verado on my Hallett 210 and I couldn't be happier. The engine far exceded my expectations. Not only is it super quiet at idle it's the same at running speed. As far as not being any quieter then the optimax thats false. Being heavier then the normal outboard didn't bother me as my boat is not for racing but for overall pleasure and this engine is over the top in that department. And by the way..I used just over 15 gallons to go from Needles Marina to Havasu Springs and back at around 45 mph. Thought that was pretty decent. Price might turn some of you off but then whats cheap anymore. Plus the thing just looks cool.
    Hey Billy,
    What did the labor cost ballpark for the motor swap? I've got an '87 200 on my Schiada right now and am thinking about either a Verado or a 300X...
    What do you get on the top end with your 210?
    Pls let me know. Thanks.

BILLY.B
    Hey Billy,
    What did the labor cost ballpark for the motor swap? I've got an '87 200 on my Schiada right now and am thinking about either a Verado or a 300X...
    Pls let me know. Thanks. If I remember right it was around $5000.00. I had to change the steering from the left to the right, and there were some other things that probably ran the labor up a bit. I wasn't concerned with the weight and figured if I was going this far I might as well get the top of the line. Now my Hallett is the plug boat that all the closed deck 210's are made from and so the boat is really heavy and the Verado pushes it to around 70mph and that was with my fat ass, my wife, and 40 gallons of fuel. Still working on getting the right prop but i'd guess top end wouldn't get much better then 75mph. I don't think you can go wrong with the Verado.

stoker2001
    Hey Billy,
    Pls let me know. Thanks.The Verado is Hi tech with all new drive by wire for shfiting,throttle and special steering that you can only get thru Mercury.Since my junk was already set up for Optimax it would of cost an extra $4K just for these items not to mention labor to install the 300X would be at least ten miles per hour faster in my opinion,not only does it have 25+ more ponys it will rev higher and you get the Sportmaser lower for better efficiency when surfacing the prop.this alone on tunnel hulls is worth substantial speed gains :rollside:

Riverkid
    Thanks gents...

wsuwrhr
    Now my Hallett is the plug boat that all the closed deck 210's are made from and so the boat is really heavy and the Verado pushes it to around 70mph and that was with my fat ass,
    You must be joking.
    I prefer big boned sir.
    Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12