1) Gene Mooneyham, early lakes, drag racer and manufacturer of superchargers, passed away on 17 Jan 2006.
Services will be on Jan 28, 11a.m., at Sky Rose Chapel, Rose Hills Cemetery, Whittier, CA. (Glen Barrett)
2) Fred Farley and I are working on a new book for the Vintage Hydroplane class, and we hope to have it avail-
able in 2006. To contribute photos or information, contact Fred or myself at rharsin@seidata.com. (Ron Harsin)
3) I enjoyed looking over the proposed rules (for the E-racing runabout class) and they are well thought out. The
carburetor in any class is always a major problem. I have a 600 cfm unit out in the garage that I used on a GNH
hydro and it flows 800cfm, but measures the same as a stock 600 that it was supposed to be. On second thought,
maybe the class speed limit will take care of this. If one is only allowed to go 90 mph then spending a lot of money
on a carburetor does not make a lot of sense. Keep up the good work. Glen Davis out in rainy Seattle.
4) Could you please send me the details about the above rule proposals since that is my class, I haven't heard any
thing about them but then I didn't race last year. Thanks Brian LaChapelle, Buckley WA.
5) Thank you very much for the posting of this newsletter please continue to make it available. Some people do
value the effort, and the priceless value of experience. (James Bovard)
6) Seattle Outboard Association PIT PREVIEWS-H.A.R.M. J-PROJECT-Ron Jones helped Ashley Raney,
Jared Martin, Nick Scott, and Shane Thompson in the Hydroplane Museum's project to help young racers
build their own raceboats. May 13-14 Inboard Meet at Lawrence Lake inboard event. Contact Jamie Nilsen
(Stock), Ryan Johnson (Mod), George Thornhill (PRO) or Rockey Peterson (J). need volunteers for Class
reps. Kathy Myers (425-485-6139) is in charge of ads in the new Roster book. The Annual Seattle Outboard
Association Party is Feb 28. Dave Anderson reported progress in standardizing Stock course records.
7) Crimmin Archival Update: U-40 Bardahl THE GREEN DRAGON, 1962 thru '65. scanned 145 different items.
Newspaper articles, correspondence, article photos, plus article Mom did 1964 BARDAHL COST OF UNLIM-
ITED RACING. Bob Carver took B&W's, Eileen Crimmin wrote article, and took 26 color slides of photo
shoot set up, behind the scenes material. See Ned Crimmin at khabt114@att.net or call 360-277-0262. (Ned)
8) Quill Shaft, the official newsletter of the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum; new CDs- The 1982 Season,
by Chip Hanauer, describing his lap by lap duel with Dean Chenowith at the '82 Gold Cup, and the restoration
of the '82 ATLAS VAN LINES; the second DVD is the 1974 Gold Cup from Sand Point, BUDWEISER vs
THE PAY 'N PAK. Call 206-764-9453 or write to the Museum at 5917 S. 196th Street, Kent, WA 98032.
9) For 2006 SCSC schedule/race info, membership, APBA entry forms, rules book, see www.scscracing.com.
10) 2005 Sprint Nationals, Long Beach, CA, see http://www.gnracing.org/gallery (Jim Rich jrpm@npgcable.com)
11) Were there 2 Gary Gabelich? The Gabelich of LSR fame who died in the early 80's and the boat racing,
Mercury, Second Effort Marine Gabelich who died in the past year of a heart attack on a golf course. (Randy Tripp)
12) 1957 Seattle Gold Cup, By Fred Farley. Send request for article to editor.
13) I heard from others that you didn't honor the right boat racers at the first Boat Racers Reunion? Why
wouldn't you let the boat racers decide? (RG) Dear RG: People have been spreading that rumor around for
a long time. I didn't vote at all, since I was only the secretary of the reunion. The committee that chose the 2003
Honorees consisted of Harlan Orrin, John Sherin, Bob Garner and Don Edwards. Here are the Honorees for the
year 2003: Dwight Bale, Nick Barron, Keith Black, Howard Brown, Ernie and Andy Casale,
Ray Caselli, Buzz Coats, Don Damron, "Sanger" Jack Davidson, Tom D'Eath, Dan Durham,
Bob Ellis, Allan Ford, Rich Hallett Sr, Wes Knudsen, Ron Larsen, Al Lavey, Joe Mandella,
Tony Maricich, Ed Olson, Leroy Penhall, Eric "Rick" Rickman, Rudy Ramos, Mickey
Remund, Laurie Roberts, Larry Schwabenland, Robert "Buck" Smith, Kenny St Oegger,
Louie Unser, Fred Wickens, Leo Wildman, Norm Wilson, Roberta Nichols Yakel, Rod Zapf,
Dave Zeuschel, Glenwood Marine and Hallcraft Marine.
Notice that only ONE person came from outside the California racing scene. These were some of the finest boat
racers, volunteers, photographers, writers and companies anywhere, but these 4 electors were looking at it from
a regional Southern California perspective, and there were men and women around the country who deserved
to be recognized. The next year we opened it to a vote from people throughout North America, including Canada.
This incensed the old Committee members and they tolerated an open vote for the 2004 and 2005 reunions, then
asked for my removal. The selection of Honorees is now closed to a select few who have gone back to that
regional Southern California bias. There will be no more open votes by the general racing public as to whom will
be honored in the future. A small group within the Reunion will make all of the choices from now on.
14) Effective May 1, 2005, RESTRAINT CAPSULES are mandatory for all boats competing in the K Racing Run-
about class. For the complete article by Duff Daily, contact the editor of the newsletter.
15) We are steadily progressing on the construction of the replica/restoration (we have some of the original compon-
ents) of the 1955 U-60 MISS THRIFTWAY (1). Folks can follow our progress on our website for updates and
photos. See www.missthriftway.com. There is no scheduled completion date, but we just rolled her over and are
getting ready to put the final designs on the internal systems. (Steve Compton)
16) I attended the ULHRA meeting yesterday in Issaquah, WA, where Chip Hanauer gave an outstanding present-
ation on raising the Lights to the "next level of professionalism." Chip discussed increasing the level of team pro-
fessionalism, deportment in the pits, appearance of crews and drivers, courting of sponsors, selling sponsor's
products with the boat and driver, professional relations, promoting the driver as heroes and role-models, etc. As
always, Chip supported his presentation with humorous stories from his recdord-setting career as the all-time Gold
Cup winner and all-round, highly professional great guy. I'd strongly encourage any professional boat racing unit
to contact Chip and have him present to their group. It'd be well worth their while! (Dick Bowne) Readers: the
editor has written articles on; 1) looking for sponsors, 2) politics and 3) use of Public Access TV to improve
racing leagues. While written for car racing, it also applies to boat racing. Send request for articles to me.
17) The THUNDERBOLT Question, by Fred Farley. Send request to editor for copy.
18) Please forward a copy (of Kevin Spaise's rebuttal letter). Please check us out at www.vdbc.com for all Aussie
drag boat racing news! Thank you from down under! Regards, Gary James
19) I forwarded the K boat information to you as something you may be interested in. I'm sure there are many reunion
racers that may have an interest in current affairs of the APBA. I enjoy the www.boatracingfacts.com web site, and
I'm sure you are aware of it. I look forward to reading your informative newsletter in the future...Ray Burnett/PS89
20) I was wondering if you have heard of or seen any Lavey Craft hulls around for sale. I think Joe Poty used to
race one as an E. (Greg Barker GregB@electro-mechonline.com) Editor's notes: Laveycraft Boats and it's
founder, Al Lavey, was honored by the Boat Racers Reunion. Their phone number is 951-273-9690 and
their email address is info@laveycraft.com. Contact them to see if they have a referral service for their
used race boats.
21) The Editor is looking for a partner or partners for the Boat Racers Newsletter, who might be able to add a
blog or website, allowing a broader outreach for the newsletter concept.