I got this emailed to me today
News and Racing Schedules:
1) SOA (Seattle Outboard Association) Dec 2005, PIT PREVIEWS Newsletter. Elections for Board of Directors.
Volunteers needed at races, such as race director, referee, inspector, scorer, and other duties. 5 records were
set on D-Lake; Randy Limbeck, Sport C, 60.023 mph, Jason Williams, D Mod Hydro, 94.269 mph, Aaron
Peterson, J Hydro, 38.830 mph, Dustin Echols, 2.5 Mod, 137.279 mph, Larry Lauterbach, National Mod,
152.274 mph. There were two region records set, one by Limbeck and one by Echols. Limbeck's record was
actually faster than his APBA record. John Read will be stepping down as Mod Chairman. Rockey Peterson
said there are 3 new rules for next season; lifting rules, restrictors need to be stamped APBA, and an open book
test for new J-drivers. November 27th date for the Banquet. Moses Lake: The Apple Cup was taken by Central
Washington. Oroville: Records for J. Michael Kelly in 25ss Runabout and Jim Nilsen in C Racing Runabout.
J. Michael Kelly was the weekend "iron-man," racing 18 heats. D-Lake Kilos: Dick Rautenberg said 5 records
were set, plus 2 region records. See http://www.seattleoutboard.org (John Paramore)
2) Eileen Crimmin, and Bob Carver built up a vast archive of boat racing photos. Eileen's son, Ned, is attempting
to put it in an indexed catalog so that boat racers can have a photo of their boat or their favorite boat from the archives.
Please help Ned to identify the photos and for a great Holiday gift for that boat racer, buy one of Ned's photos and
help this young man continue to do this HUGE task that he has set for himself. Ned's at khabt114@att.net
Letters:
3) Concerning Greg Barker's "E" Boat stuff...You wouldn't be talking about Roger Stull's Patterson-built
SUDDENLY would you? Talk about turn! Your formula makes some sense. (Don Rudy)
4) I really liked the article about the venues tearing themselves apart, and agree to what was said about the BRR
dumping you, after it was YOU that started it up in the first place! I helped get sponsorship (behind the scenes
with a friend representing Winston) for the 1997 IHBA Summer Nationals in Chowchilla, where both Tom Black
(props) and Tom Cantrell died on Saturday, in the TFH class. Dragboat Racing took a hard hit that sad day!
We had TNN, ESPN, and local CableTV there for the event, and from both eyewitness and insider information
that those killed should have not been allowed to race with their equipment! Tom Black's capsule had bad delam-
ination, and Cantrell's boat had violations in the mounting of his air bottle and other things inside of his capsule.
IHBA shouldn't have looked the other way, and if the races had been run safely, TV would have brought Dragboat
Racing into the homes of every avid watcher in the West. We all hustled and raised the money to over $45,000,
and that was more than the World Finals at Firebird Raceway in 1996, and those in charge did everything they
could to keep this event from being the greatest show ever put on in IHBA history! On Wednesday, the grass had
not even been cut so the pits could be layed out. Then the timing lights were mysteriously missing. Then the Pits
were rearranged by the Lion's Club on Thursday, and crews that had arrived early had to move their camps. On
Friday, the first Test and Tune ever was attended by over 8000 paying spectators, and the guards which were
Lion's Club members, said "something" to the Jetski operators, who we had to have on the water for safety on
Friday nite, NOT to come back or else. On Saturday, I got word to try and find at least 3 Jetski's for insurance
reasons, to get there asap, or the races could not start. The gate on Saturday was over 10-12,000 attendees by
rough count. (To be continued)
5) The following interview was continued from a previous newsletter with Richard Parks, co-founder of The Boat
Racers Reunion, by Ron Henderson, who sponsored the Boat Racers Reunion Lady Dragon Award for Out-
standing excellence in design.
RH: They roasted you over the coals pretty good, didn't they?
RP: No worse than any other leader in any other boat racing organization. Boat racers are a tough breed
and they make sure that their leaders know that they won't back down from anything. They have a
strong stubborn streak. They have to, in order to do what they do. Boat racing makes strong people
and strong opinions, but at the same time they make it hard to do things from an administrative point.
6) The information in the newsletter is always helpful and interesting. So much is found out with the help of others.
As with most old boats, information and history gets lost. Such is my case. The original owner of my 1968 Nordskog
was Jack Jenkins. At the time he lived in the Point Loma area of San Diego, CA. I was informed by Noel Younger
that Jack Jenkins also raced an off-shore boat named APACHE. I have restored the Nordskog and am looking to get
in touch with Jack and find out more about him. Last I heard he was in Baja, Mexico, either as an operator or owner
of a marina. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. (Ed O'Hara) Editor's notes: If you know
of Jack Jenkins, or where he can be found, please let the editor know and I will pass the word on to Ed.