Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what cam should I use

Hello peep's
    I have a couple of questions about My BBC build.
    My engine is with the builder now and I am to the point of needing to select a cam,intake and carb.
    here is a list of what I have now.
    454 two bolt studed block bored .030"
    Scat (all forged) 4.25 "stroker" kit,external ballanced.
    Pistons are dome top
    Comperetion ratio will be about 10.5-1
    Heads are large oval port ,factory cast heads,will be ported,pollished and fitted with larger than stock valves and roller rockers.
    I will be running this motor in an 18' kona,with a jaquzzi 12wj pump and a 'B' impeller.
    I will be using the boat for some good ole rive racing and alitle rereational skiing.
    Iwant the motor to be reliable(not having to wrench onit every time i take it out) and hve some what of a smooth idle.
    My questions are ,what cam do You think will make a good combination?
    What kind of intake,single or dual plane ,should I use?
    What kind and size, carb would work best?
    And Yor opinions on any thing else that I might need to do.
    The previous owner had a motor in this same boat and pump that was pushing 700hp or better.
    I will appreaciate any of You'r imput on this,and thaks inadvance..Hal

Squirtin Thunder
    If you are not going to flow the heads and want an off the shelf cam, I would look at the Comp Cams Extreem Marine series cams.

flowing the heads are part of the plan for them.

AZKC
    If you are not going to flow the heads and want an off the shelf cam, I would look at the Comp Cams Extreem Marine series cams.
    These are good off the shelf cams and set up for jets.

Squirtin Thunder
    flowing the heads are part of the plan for them.
    Because you plan to flow the heads I would call Chris Strabb, he as a very good handle on cam selection, one of the best in the buisness.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm running something (ok, REMOTELY) similar in my Taylor. Unstroked 454 and 8.5:1 compression. I got a full kit with a special cut from DuaneHTP he has Iskendarian grind. It's a .565" lift and 280* duration hydraulic but the ramps are cut for faster opening than typical. It's a great runner under my holley 700 and Performer RPM Air Gap. With factory logs I saw 350 HP, Thru-hull headers should put me right at 400, the porting job I am going to get NEXT year on my open-chamber '049 heads (larger valves too) should put me very close to 500 HP and over 500'lbs torque, still on low-octane.

QuickJet
    The previous owner had a motor in this same boat and pump that was pushing 700hp or better.
    I will appreaciate any of You'r imput on this,and thaks inadvance..Hal
    700 HP in front of a Jacuzzi sounds like someone was missmanaging some funds along the way.
    Anyways, the cam you want to run is the Isky Z89. It's a solid flat tappet and it works great. .636 lift and 254 @ .50 on a 108.
    I'd upgrade the pump hardware with the Berkley jacuzzi kit.
    I might get some shit for this but run the tunnel ram with either a set of 660's or better.
    If you go single carb, run the victor with a 2 inch spacer and an 850 DP
    The cam isn't going to give you the idle you want. You won't care though since you'll be too busy smiling and mashing the pedal!

The pump was rebuilt ,with 0 hrs on it and was fitted with a berkley impeller.I guess this is the berkley kit that you are refering to,hopefully.

QuickJet
    The pump was rebuilt ,with 0 hrs on it and was fitted with a berkley impeller.I guess this is the berkley kit that you are refering to,hopefully.
    If you want to find out more about the kit contact Greg shoemaker at GS marine. His # is (909) 272-6060. He's located in Corona California. He's said that the kit is good for 6-10 mph over a stock Jacuzzi depending on your motor combo.
    Enjoy!!!

the pump is running a berkley impeller,I think the previous owner said that the work was done by clay smith cams,atleast i know his engine was built by them.
    What is the pros and cons of single plane vs dualplane intakes.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast