Thread: 396 chevy engine

v-drive
    I have been working with a small welding shop and in talking with him have found that he has 3 396 engines. all were running and none had been bored when he stored them. He said he would give me a fair price on one but that he didn't have a clue of what they were worth (yeah right) but would let me know. So, what do es everyone think one would be worth? v-drive

GofastRacer
    Don't know what they're worth, but stock for stock it's still a big block and it costs the same to build a 454, something to think about!..

Moneypitt
    If you get the casting numbers, and the block ID number from the R/side deck you can ID what those 396s were originally. Some had killer heads, steel cranks, solid lifters and HD valve train components. The 3.76 stroke has it's advantages when it comes to quick reving, and into the higher RPM ranges. The rebuild costs, as Art mentioned, are about the same as any other BBC, the difference is you will be limited to .060 over which results in about 406 Cu in. Using that crank,(3.76) and a 4.25 bore would get you 427 inches, and +.060 works out to about 440 cu in. IMO, the 396 block is kind of a waste unless you are rebuilding an early Chevy and trying to maintain originality. If I were you I would get the casting/ID numbers and look into what they really are, could be a real gem hinding there, something a collector might pay you enough to go buy yourself a nice 454..................MP