Thread: swamping trans need help?

Brendella
    I want to change my 93 chevy 4l60E to a 700R4.
    what will I have to do as for the electronic lock-up and the speedomertor.
    I believe the 700R4 is not an electronic lock-up.
    and I know about drive shaft change etc. Just want to know what I will need to do to make it work.
    reason for conversion is that I have a tpi that I want to install later and the 4L60E won't work because of the electronic lock-up.
    thanks in advance I know it is not boat related but we get the best help here.
    brendella

21rayson
    painless wire makes a kit to use a 700r4 tranny.it cost about $125.00 through summit i just put one in a 57 chevy.

shockwaveharry
    I wouldn't change the tranny until you're ready to swap the TPI in too. If you do the trans swap first, your issues would be the speed sensor(different sensor signals for different years), torque converter lock-up (on/off in the 700 vs. pulse modulation in the 4L60E) and check engine light for the engine. You could probably get away (for a short time anyway) with just swaping the trannys and not having the lock up, but no speed sensor will screw with fuel economy, driveability and could wipe the converter. There was a company a few years back called Jaguars That Run. If they're still around you could get alot of parts that you need to make the swap work like speed sensors, speedo drives, TV cable kits, that type of stuff. It all depends on what year stuff you are running.
    Alot of work and parts that you won't need when you put the TPI in.
    Oh, and I don't think your TPI swap will be legal in CA. You can swap a newer engine to an older car, but not the other way around. Something to think about unless you're allready covered.
    Good luck!

Brendella
    thanks guys and I know about the cal.legal issue and you are right.
    brendella