Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaft Wear OK in Packing Area?

El Prosecutor
    I am rebuilding a 12jc pump for the first time and have noticed quite a bit of wear on the shaft where it contacts the packings (just forward of the thrust bearing). Anybody have suggestions on how much wear is acceptable before the shaft should be replaced? Would using a graphite/rope style packing make an effective seal? :idea: I am not made of money but want the rebuild to last. This is a family/pleasure boat, not a racer.

sidewound
    Mine had some wear on it when I rebuilt and I've had no problems yet.
    How bad is yours? I don't think their's a measure for acceptable wear.
    As long as your not putting monster hp to it you'll prolly be allright.
    I used the black graphite and don't have any problem.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

FLEA DIDDY
    What's an exceptable amount of drip from those packing glands? I had a slow stream of water dripping from there right before I pulled the motor?

Squirtin Thunder
    What's an exceptable amount of drip from those packing glands? I had a slow stream of water dripping from there right before I pulled the motor?
    You want a little drip, if you have a stream then tighten it up a tad till it stops and back it off a quarter turn. If it does not go away then replace the packing.
    I would say about 86% of the original shafts have some small amount of wear on them.

sanger rat
    Get the new packing seal from Don's pump service and you'll never have to worry about it again. HTP sell's them too.

wet77
    Get the new packing seal from Don's pump service and you'll never have to worry about it again. HTP sell's them too.
    Had mine in all summer and loved it
    Just pop it in and tighten down the nuts and your good to go!
    No more leaks :rollside:

Hipshot
    Please tell me about this new packing seal. How does it work and if it is better than the old rope deal why isn't everyone running them?

squirt
    From the title of this thread this subject sure sounds like a Kim Hansen thread. Shaft wear around the packing area, drips and leaks, damn near lost my breakfast :2purples:

Duane HTP
    The packing replacement seal unit.
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/im...aft_Seal_3.jpg
    if it is better than the old rope deal why isn't everyone running them?
    Because it hasn't been available that long and people are just now finding out about it.

Hipshot
    Duane, I know you sell them, but would you please give me your honest opinion on running them? Do they work better than the rope deals? It seems like they would have less drag. Also, how long do they last, or have they not been out long enough to find out? Is there a grease zerk somewhere on that deal?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast