Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaft Wear OK in Packing Area?

Rondane
    Because it hasn't been available that long and people are just now finding out about it.
    Was told by a local racer it's more intended for them and not much for the lake boater especially if you boat in merky water such as i do.
    It's like the tail shaft seal,once a groove gets in the shaft, there is nothing you can do to hold the oil in, except grease. Too bad only water goes thru that area of the packing seal. If it does go bad, you'd have to take the whole pump apart again to get it out, unlike the graphite, which to me is a drawback and something to consider.
    Dont know for sure, thats just the word in these parts.

sanger rat
    Even if the seal could wear a groove in the shaft it would take years. Something you would never have to worry about. I'm happy with mine and would recommend it to anybody.

Duane HTP
    I've not heard a bad report from anyone I've installed them for, or from anyone I've sold one to. Only bad speculation from people who haven't tried them yet. But that's typical of the jet boat industry. It's NEW! I've had one in my personal boat, blown 572 Chevy that runs 100 +, for three years now without a drip. I've probably put a dozen in race pumps also. I would say they work better because they don't leak or drip. However, I've never really had a problem with the rope packing either. How long do they last? Don't know yet. Maybe in 5 or 6 years I'll know.

HammerDown
    The OE wax type rope packing had wire in it (of all things) and yes my shaft had some pretty deep grooves in it. :notam:
    No biggie...I just installed GFO Graphite type packing. Been in my pump for years and years...no leak, no problem.

Duane HTP
    That wire in the packing was lead. It was there for lubrication.

Hipshot
    Thank you Duane.

HammerDown
    That wire in the packing was lead. It was there for lubrication.
    Sure was some tough lead...seemed more like stanless wire

El Prosecutor
    Thanks to all for the responses - good info so far. Here is a pic of the actual situation (attached). Opinions on the severity of wear, and which packing type is best for this situation would be appreciated. So far I am waffling between the black graphite rope and the new style seal from HTP . Not worrying about adjusting packing nuts sounds good, and if the shaft was new I would just about be convinced to try the new style. Instinctively however, it seems to me that the graphite might be more forgiving on a worn shaft. :argue: Any wisdom out there?

sanger rat
    If the shaft bothers you that much you could have it rechromed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast