Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum connecting rods

Unchained
    When I assembled the 540 Arias in spring 2000 I got the best set of aluminum rods I could find.
    The Bill Miller units that were 7.25" long.
    Now it seems a lot of guys I talk to tell me that aluminum rods are only good for a season or two and then you have to toss them. Is this true or is this a throwback from aluminum rod failures from decades ago?
    The rods are real beauties and I would hate to have to toss them. Can you just check your deck height after running them for a season to see if they stretched to determine the condition?
    Mark

nitro557
    check the roundness of the big end ,also most rod manufactures make a thread guage to run into the rods and check if the threads are pulling out and yes running alu rods for 2 or more seasons is pushing your luck

West Coast Dave
    The guys I know that run aluminum rods in their drag stuff keep a log and after X amount of runs they toss them away. You can't mag them and the fatigue stress will finally get you.

Hotcrusader76
    Diddo...
    I have heard they aren't good for extended periods of use due to the tensile strength of the rods...
    I have never run them, but this is what I have gathered from a few racers.
    ~Ty
    [ December 17, 2002, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Jrocket
    Well atleast you have some of the best ones on the market.Miller makes some sweet ones.I think the rods will have a longer life in a boat for sure.I wouldnt be afraid to run them.Ive ran them before,just not in a boat motor.I put alot of normal and drag racing hours on mine.No problems.I was once told that its the down revving that kills the big end of the rods.Kills the big end caps.I dont know if this is true but its what I have been told.......Run'um

Unchained
    JRocket, I've heard that before too. That it's the decelerating that stretches them. In a jet boat there certainly is no decelerating. It's a consistent load.

Cole
    This brings up a question that i have always wondered,i have a blown 540 that makes about 700 hp and did not go with alum rods but H-beam instead.the motor was in a jet and is now going into a 26'cat,i have always thought the rods were my motors weak link,is this true. Cole

Jrocket
    Cole:
    This brings up a question that i have always wondered,i have a blown 540 that makes about 700 hp and did not go with alum rods but H-beam instead.the motor was in a jet and is now going into a 26'cat,i have always thought the rods were my motors weak link,is this true. ColeWhat brand of H-beam's?

Cole
    its been about a year...i dont remember what brand....they were fairly expensive. Cole

Jrocket
    Actually theres alot of good brands out there.Some are made in the same factories just have different brands on them.I think theres other things to worry about in your motor than your rods.They should hold up for quite awhile.An H-beam rod is plenty strong with in reason for 700hp.The majority of most hp motors on the street and in boats probably have a good h-beam rod......
    Bad lubrication,detonation and water hydraulicing are more of what will kill those rods first..
    I hope something I said helped ya......I know something but not everything!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast