Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hummer H1 Owners... Need Info...

Steve 1
    I was going to buy one a 02 H1 yellow open top loaded. But decided on a new Chevy Dually instead the hummer H1’s are cool to drive but snail like in performance unless you get one converted to Dmax Allison (there was a dealer in Sacramento doing them) or buy the new H1 Alpha. Towing BTW check the rating.

H20 Toie
    But an h1 is a true off road vehichle that doest have to worry about snapping tie rods trying to go over a rockThey aint all that comfy but amde to abuse
    .H2 is just a rebodied suburban or (yuppie status suburban)that really cant handle real oof road situations but funny to see people that think because it says hummer it is like an h1.LOL
    :rollside:
    Bull i did a lot of wheeling with the H2 and it is nothing like a Suburban (except it has the same engine) it even climbs better than my 90 Blazer did and with more comfort

2Driver
    I had a H1 for a while and had a lot of good times with it. After a 6 jeeps, 3 land cruisers and countless 4x4 trucks the H1 was in contrast a lot of fun as a 3rd car. We off road-ed it pretty hard and my wife would commute to work in it on Friday's. It was the 4 door "open top, CTIS, run flats and all the power goodies including a $10K stereo that would lift the soft top off.
    Here is why I wouldn't use it as a driver
    or a tow truck and why I would only use it as a recreation extra vehicle.
    It's strong points in the military are it's achillies heal in regular life.
    1. There is too much about the truck that the regular repair shop can't fix and that includes the tires, especially if you have run-flats. Sure if you are in a war the truck is great. Drive it with all 4 tires flat in 4' of water and get back to base camp alive. Then all you do is turn the Hummer in and get a new one on Uncle Sam. But, in real life the truck is not dependable and that causes a lot of grief when you start experiencing problems even with something as simple as a flat, let alone a drive train problem.
    2. They are not good at higher speeds and I mean 65 MPH is shaky and you have to have the hammer down. They look smooth on the highway but it is a mess inside.
    3. You will need to hang a spare off the back or on the roof and changing a tire is no fun. If you have run-flats at tire replacement time that is a whole another story.
    4. The truck is just too noisy and hard to cool down. Even though they have improved on sound proofing and the a/c's you are still driving a "machine" and you will be reminded of it.
    5. Mine was under warranty bumper to bumper. That was well and good but I was always back at the dealer getting something fixed and it was usually the civilian stuff like, A/C, Power door locks, little stuff. All the same drivers had the same story I did.
    6. Brakes run about $1500 a set and will go in about 10K miles. Tires will go in about 15K.
    Sum it up and it was fun to have around as a spare truck but not much more than that. Dependability and special needs for service and parts really kill it as a driver or tow vehicle. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

Cole Trickle
    But an h1 is a true off road vehichle that doest have to worry about snapping tie rods trying to go over a rockThey aint all that comfy but amde to abuse
    .H2 is just a rebodied suburban or (yuppie status suburban)that really cant handle real oof road situations but funny to see people that think because it says hummer it is like an h1.LOL
    :rollside:
    Our family purchased our H2 back in July of 2003 and have put 30K hard hard miles on it.
    It is by no means a H1 wen it comes to overall off road ability but calling it a glorified Tahoe or Suburban always cracks me up.
    I have climbed many a sand dunes in the truck and have pictures were I towed my uncles sand rail home over quite a few big dunes.
    It will do rocks,logs and climb just about anything you put in front of it.
    In my opinion it's only down side when offroading is it's size and weight.We have quite alot of scratches from going down jeep trails not designed for a wide vehicle.Power wise it is great until you hit a real steep dune or hill where you can't get a running start.
    It is not a long travel jeep but it is comfortable and tows our boat with little problems.
    We enjoy beatng the heck out of it. and will buy another one the first day they put a deisel in it.

HYPNAUTIC
    I dont have an H1 and dont want a H2. IMO this is the truck that carries an image.
    Monster truck goes to market
    By James R. Healey, USA TODAY
    International, the heavy-truck company, thinks buyers are pining for even bigger trucks than today's hefty sport-utility vehicles and full-size pickups, and this week it begins marketing the world's largest production pickup.
    International's CXT can tow 20 tons.
    Called CXT, for commercial extreme truck, it dwarfs the beefy Hummer H2 sport-utility pickup and even could call the hulking H1 military version "junior."
    The CXT is 2 feet taller, 4½ feet longer, twice as heavy and totes more than five times the cargo weight of H2. "You can put the Hummer in back and take it with you," quips Nick Matich, vice president at International Truck and Engine.
    It's also about twice the price of H2, about the same as H1. It starts at $93,000, runs $105,000 typically equipped and tops out at $115,000 with DVD player, leather upholstery, tilting dump box and rear-view camera.
    Matich is planning only a few dozen — perhaps 60 — this year, but could gear up International's factory at Garland, Texas, to build thousands if CXT becomes the next "in" ride among those who think a Hummer's just not enough.
    "People who got all excited about Hummer could be ready to move on to the next big thing," says Dan Gorrell at auto consultant Strategic Vision. "If it's got some style, panache, then there's probably a small market out there for it. It never ceases to amaze me what people want in the 'big' department."
    The truck began as a "what-if" concept last year. International dealers quickly asked for production and have bought the first couple of dozen as rolling ads for their truck dealerships. Now International plans to pitch the rigs to consumers, mainly people with businesses who want their vehicles to make a statement. And to folks who just want more.
    "You think about the people who haul big horse trailers, big boats, all that sort of thing. They have big egos, and you can see where that goes," Matich says. "I'll have a camouflage version next year. Hunting and fishing lodges should snap that up."
    Matich says two CXTs will be at the Emmy awards pre-party next weekend. He figures the outrageous truck is as much image-enhancer for International as for-profit product.
    Development was relatively cheap because the expensive hardware already is in production, used for International dump trucks, snow plows, concrete mixers and the like. The pickup box is a modified Ford unit. CXT has a commercial-duty diesel engine good for six to 10 miles per gallon of fuel; air brakes like you'd find on a semitractor; an Allison automatic transmission for severe duty; and all-wheel drive is standard.

Froggystyle
    I'm not sure the H1 is the kind of "image vehicle" you want for your company Wes. Just my opinion but I think you'd do a lot better with something else. I'm sure you've seen the Freightliners and Internationals (commercial trucks) that are outfitted with pickup boxes and creature comforts inside - those would be better. And I'm sure you've seen the stretched Fords (Super Duty 450 or 550 or 650 or whatever they are) - those could be cool too. Otherwise I'd suggest you get the LBZ diesel with Allison tranny and have it stretched and customized.
    Any way you go you should have a better driving, riding (not offroad though) and looking vehicle for less (or even the same $165K).
    Good luck!
    Good point, except I don't want to give anyone the impression that it would take one of those 6500's or Freightliners to tow it. We are also looking at the new Dodge Nitro. Keep in mind that on the trailer the boat weighs less than 6,000 pounds with fuel, so I have a huge lattitude when it comes to tow vehicle selection.
    I loved driving those things, a little nostalgic I guess. I want a helicopter too if it makes anyone feel better...

2Driver
    [QUOTE=77charger]But an h1 is a true off road vehichle that doest have to worry about snapping tie rods trying to go over a rockThey aint all that comfy but amde to abuse QUOTE]
    Actually they can break pretty easy the 4, 1/2 shafts at each wheel go like a pencil if you drop a tire down while it's spinning. If a civilian version be sure to have th A/C off if you go in water of 20" as the cooling fan will become a hand grenade.... You need a small tax base to keep them running, private mechanic or full time hand to run it back and forth to the dealer for you. :rollside:

Froggystyle
    [QUOTE=77charger]But an h1 is a true off road vehichle that doest have to worry about snapping tie rods trying to go over a rockThey aint all that comfy but amde to abuse QUOTE]
    Actually they can break pretty easy the 4, 1/2 shafts at each wheel go like a pencil if you drop a tire down while it's spinning. If a civilian version be sure to have th A/C off if you go in water of 20" as the cooling fan will become a hand grenade.... You need a small tax base to keep them running, private mechanic or full time hand to run it back and forth to the dealer for you. :rollside:
    Well, this pretty much settles it then...
    So, the search continues. Too bad, I thought that truck was pretty cool.
    Now, I need a ride in an H2. They have some modified for SEAL transportation right now that seem pretty able. Allegedly, it will follow the H1 anywhere it can go. Sounds formidable...

rivercrazy
    Actually you might consider towing it with a mid size truck with a 6 banger. That way you can add some depth to marketing the boat's light weight. It would look pretty badass behind one of the new Toyota Tacoma's IMHO

riverbound
    Well, this pretty much settles it then...
    So, the search continues. Too bad, I thought that truck was pretty cool.
    Now, I need a ride in an H2. They have some modified for SEAL transportation right now that seem pretty able. Allegedly, it will follow the H1 anywhere it can go. Sounds formidable...
    I have towed quite a bit with my mom's H2 and I would NEVER want one as a tow vheicle. They SUCK as a tow vehicle. I dont even like driving it. I think there are better options out there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast