Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gsxr1000

76ANTHONY
    Just thought I'd help. I wanted to build a custom bike not too long ago. After seeing what happened to him I have no want to own a street bike.
    YEP, I SEE YOUR POINT...ya know you took all the fun outta finding this guy a bike

76ANTHONY
    hahahaha now he wants a 750........

FHI-prez
    yeah thats very very true, people cant see ya so they just go right through you. yes im very defensive and careful... ya know your talkin me outta jumpin on this thing
    There is a lot of truth to people pulling out in front of you. BUT some responsibility should be handed to riders in some cases. I've ridden fast bikes for 12 years on the road, and there is no end to fellow riders stories about being cut off and/or pulled out in front of. Over the years I've ridden with these people and found out why the ones that complain the most are asking for it. Things like:
    Riding towards the outside of a lane. People don't look there, they look towards the middle. You hug the outside and you are begging to get cut off.
    Riding in peoples blind spots longer than necessary. As a rider you fit nicely into a blind spot, move.
    Riding speed. Bikes don't look like they are going as fast as they are when compared to a car. Riding significantly faster than traffic is a good way to get your ass handed to ya.
    Riding too aggressive.
    Riding too defensive.
    Leaving a blinker on.
    Riding with guys with more experience on a crazy night of twistie fun. Can't keep up, hurt yourself trying.
    a gix 1k is no more dangerous than a sv 650, in fact I think an argument could easily be made to the contrary. Better brakes, better evasive handling. The only thing that f@ks it up is the male ego. The ego will get you hurt or killed in a real hurry on a modern liter bike.
    Oh, I forgot the most important F up most riders do daily. They go places in traffic or do things they wouldn't/couldn't do in a car. You end up in a place where someone that saw you a second ago wouldn't expect you to be, and you are asking for trouble. Lane splitting. High acceleration pass. Fitting into tighter spaces because you can and you are in a hurry, that sort of thing.

77charger
    That is very true. I have ridden the R6 and GSXR1000 and the power difference is HUGE. The GSXR has more power than you could ever use!!! Personally my two favorite bikes are the Honda RC-51 and the GSXR 750. Both of those bikes handle great and have a ton of usable power.
    that is true although i prefer the gsxr 750 over the rc51.Very few people can actually ride a 1000 to full potential.I have an 01 gsxr 750 and have had no problems being ahead on canyon roads vs the 1000s(have had some track time and lots of canyon time been riding street for 15 years).I think most go with the 1000 cause they think bigger is better,can go faster in straight line,and wheelies easier.
    All depends on rider ability on how fast you will go good rider can go just as fast on a 600 these days(they might be heavy on the gas but useing all avail power) vs someone on a bigger bike

CA Stu
    a gix 1k is no more dangerous than a sv 650, in fact I think an argument could easily be made to the contrary.
    An SV will take a hell of a lot longer to get you up to 100mph. A new rider, unfamiliar with how much power a modern liter bike has on tap, can go WFO for about 5 seconds and be pulling 120. Which is really really fast when you are doing it. Typing in numbers it doesn't seem like a big deal, but a lot of stuff is happening at the same time when you travel at speeds like that.
    A new rider on a GSXR is a very very bad idea, those things should be ridden by experts only.
    Something no one has mentioned is the MSF safety class. You will learn a lot there, and you will stack the odds in your favor dramatically.
    The odds of being hurt and/or killed in a bike crash are way less if:
    1) you have taken a safety course
    2) you are sober
    3) you are over 19
    4) you are licensed and insured
    If you are some jackass that buys a bike with no license, no formal training, and ride straight to the bar, guess what. You are going to eat it and get hurt sooner or later.
    Interestingly enough, the most dangerous stretch of street riding experience id from about 2-3 years after you get a bike. You get confident, relax, and take your eye off the ball.
    For the love of Jeebus, if you must have a bike start with a starter bike, and take the MSF safety course.
    Thanks
    CA Stu

77charger
    oh thinkin about selling it.Aint in no hurry if it sells it sells if not i dont mind keeping it.It is the best bike i have owned and my favorite.
    .Just dont have the time to ride as much as i use too.And this summer doesnt look good either.

FHI-prez
    An SV will take a hell of a lot longer to get you up to 100mph. A new rider, unfamiliar with how much power a modern liter bike has on tap, can go WFO for about 5 seconds and be pulling 120. Which is really really fast when you are doing it. Typing in numbers it doesn't seem like a big deal, but a lot of stuff is happening at the same time when you travel at speeds like that.
    A new rider on a GSXR is a very very bad idea, those things should be ridden by experts only.
    Something no one has mentioned is the MSF safety class. You will learn a lot there, and you will stack the odds in your favor dramatically.
    The odds of being hurt and/or killed in a bike crash are way less if:
    1) you have taken a safety course
    2) you are sober
    3) you are over 19
    4) you are licensed and insured
    If you are some jackass that buys a bike with no license, no formal training, and ride straight to the bar, guess what. You are going to eat it and get hurt sooner or later.
    Interestingly enough, the most dangerous stretch of street riding experience id from about 2-3 years after you get a bike. You get confident, relax, and take your eye off the ball.
    For the love of Jeebus, if you must have a bike start with a starter bike, and take the MSF safety course.
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    Let me clarify, I meant the bikes being driven the same way. I know the potential is there, but you don't have to use it. There is such a thing as self control (something that took me years to find out btw ).
    Slower bikes can be just as dangerous if you are going to factor in ego. Example: beginner rider, trying to keep up with a faster better handling bike will be in way over his head real quick. It works both ways. No bike is safe if you don't know how to ride or you are trying to be "cool" and ride over your head.

CA Stu
    Slower bikes can be just as dangerous if you are going to factor in ego. Example: beginner rider, trying to keep up with a faster better handling bike will be in way over his head real quick. It works both ways. No bike is safe if you don't know how to ride or you are trying to be "cool" and ride over your head.
    I was first on the scene to a guy that rode a KLR 650 off the side of a moutain going down the Banner Grade (the highway just East of Julian).
    Compound fracture in one leg (ankle touhing the knee and blood everywhere), bike on top of him, hanging in a tree.
    He was trying to follow an expert rider, and this guy was nowhere near up to it. A 45 year old man trying to become the brave young man he never was before.
    I reckon the potential for disaster on a liter bike is a lot more than on a beginner bike, but I agree that if you have your head up your ass, it's pretty easy to hurt yourself.
    I cringe when I read about young, inexperienced riders buying Gixxer 1000s.
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    PS Friend of mine claims that the bike he sees most accidents on ( and has to mop up) is a Ninja...FWIW

RiverRatMike
    With a 77% score, the GSX-R1000 slots into last place. If we were scoring this test on just empirical data, the venerable Gixxer Thou would score highly. Its combination of gearing, torque and an excellent clutch might give it top marks in acceleration contests, and its sure-footed handling will keep things close on the racetrack. But this is a streetbike test, and the old guard looks like it is a step behind – until next year, at least. Its swingarm looks like it was cobbled in the Daytona pits compared to the artfully crafted Unit Pro-Link gleaming unpainted on the Honda, and its cockpit looks like a Kia next to the Audi-like R1. And it feels fat.

PlyaPlya22
    Try riding a Haybusa....never again....WTF.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast