Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1959 Lincoln help needed

HOSS
    will have pics today

BBTAHITI
    All through school I wanted a '59..... loved the canted headlights and slammed look it had stock. Personally, I'd ditch the MEL and put a 385 in it. Not as much collector value in it as others of that era, and it just BEGS to pull the boat to the water!

SnoopJonnyJon
    http://www.kanter.com/p12-crb.html#LINCOLN
    Shows a carb kit for that as being $65... might as well start with that. Kanter seems to be a pretty good for havign weirdo oddball obselete engine parts, loads of stuff for anyone with a Packard. I took a look and found complete rebuild kits on there too (for your Lincoln)... not cheap like a SBC, but pretty reasonable considering the cost of tooling involved to make so few parts. Noticed they have carpets and headliners for the car too.
    I can understand you wanting to restore it instead of modifying/molesting it. I have a totally original 1969 IH Scout, which despite not being as desirable as say a same year blazer, or bronco makes up for it by being so original. Almost all of them ended up with a lift, a small block transplant (after all the slant 4 196, a 392 International big block with one banked sawed off with a bandsaw, makes a good anchor), and some ugly aftermarket rims. Its got less than $2000 in it, and at an all-International truck show it got as much attention as modified rigs with 10x that much in them. I'm certainly not against hot rodding, I love modifying vehicles, but if one makes it that long in one piece, it ought to stay that way

Moneypitt
    That 430 motor has about the same bore/stroke ratio as the 427 BBC. Bigger bore, shorter stroke, which says it should RPM pretty well. One drawback is those huge pistons with the angled top, as I remember those suckers were quite heavy. I once rebuilt one for a guy with a boat, long before I got into boats, and he had Jahns, (sp) 13:1 pistons for it! And the heads are really funny looking with no chamber at all.............MP

spectras only
    MP , that lincoln engine was a real performer. The short stroke let the engine spool up real fast.My 64 weighed in at 5050 lbs . When you put the pedal to the metal ,the four barrell just screamed through that huge air cleaner. Rear end ratio was something like 2.79 ,yet I could spin the rear tires. The car handled great too , due to rear leaf springs . My 66 caddy Deville was a mush with its coil springs. The 60's Lincolns were definitely the best built north american car. Blueprinted engines , galvanized body panels , S/S trim and hubcaps ,6 way power seats , all windows were power including the little vent ones and 2 yr warranty to boot. You could drive 90 mph all day long [ made a nonstop trip once with a friend ,from vancouver to LA Lots of innovative features were built in those cars. For example ; wiper system ran of the power steering pump through a regulator . This regulator sensed when the rain stopped and reset the wipers at rest. When the rain started the wipers started moving with speed changes infinitely depending on the rain's intensity. New cars now have this feature with electronics .Both my linc and caddy had the sentinel system for the lights you could calibrate the distance you wanted the high beam to go low beam when a car approached from the opposite direction. Parking brake released by putting the car in gear , the door locks and trunk opened with vacuum [ there was an air tank for these two functions] .Hoss should stay original with his.

HOSS
    This thing has got to have a posi. Both rears light up instantly with hardly any pedal.

spectras only
    With nearly 500 footpounds of torque it should It would only be a limited slip diff I think!

maxwedge
    I can say that I have had good luck with Kanter on impossible to find stuff, like engine parts for an AMC 287. The prices are somewhat expensive, but I did get great service, and all the parts were top notch. I guess when you're the only one who has the stuff, you can pretty much charge whatever you want. :cry: Good luck on the Lincoln resto. I've always loved those things. Gotta get me one some day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234