Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternator ?

Moneypitt
    If you try to rotate the housing on a GM integral you will have problems getting it back on unless..........When you pull the back off far enough to cleanly rotate it you will allow the brushes to pop out. In order to reinstall it you use a straightened paperclip into the small hole in the case to hold the brushes in place, then after it is back together, slid the paperclip out and the brushes spring out against the armature. Failure to use this method usually breaks the small brushes and the alt will not work............MP

YeLLowBoaT
    Would a larger pulley maybe? Would be a ez fix to swap out the lat pulley

Hipshot
    That's what I said Yellowboat. Try a larger or smaller pulley from the salvage yard.

Taylorman, the geometry of your setup just will not allow you to tension the belt properly. Changing pulleys may get you closer, but you still have the swing geometry wrong. You need to move the pivot point to accomplish the proper swing.
    As Moneypitt said, it looks like that may be a GM alternator. If so, you can reposition the back half in 1/4 rotation increments. Easy enough to do if you follow his instructions.
    This is one of those cases where you are going to have to choose/compromise between "form" and "function", with "form" being having the alternator in close to the block and "function" being the ability to tension the belt the way you need to. "Function" is certainly the more important in this situation.

Taylorman
    I think i figured it out. Im gonna mount it to the hole in the plate thats circled. It will not be as tucked in but it'll do.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../DCP_59572.jpg

sanger rat
    I don't think you would want to put it that far out. Chances of flinging belts off would be greater. Mine is mounted on the bottom of the plate. Maybe that would work for you.

Taylorman
    I don't think you would want to put it that far out. Chances of flinging belts off would be greater. Mine is mounted on the bottom of the plate. Maybe that would work for you.
    Got a picture?

sanger rat
    Not a very good picture but maybe you can get the idea. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...37DSC01288.JPG

Infomaniac
    Forget the rules on mounting. Think outside the box and put it somewhere.
    http://moritzmachine.com/alternator.jpg

sanger rat
    Yup. Mine pretty much the same as Info's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast