Thread: Pump setup approach for noob

Pump setup approach for noob

This is my first jet boat and I am completely clueless on pump setup. I have searched the forums and read until I am cross-eyed on tips for improving my boats performance.

I have a 79 Hallett 19' with a 454 making about 450 HP. I am only able to turn up to about 4800 RPM with a plain old Berkley pump (no droop, diverter, grate, nothing...).

What is a good general approach to get more performance? Do I start with the impeller? Droop? Diverter? Or is it some magical mix of many variables. There are not a lot of expert sources in my area.

How do I identify which Berkley pump I have? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hallet 02..jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	14Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hallet 03..jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	15

I appreciate any help or direction.

Thanks,
    Dale

When's the last time the pump was freshened? How fast is the boat running now? Does the boat have a loader on it?

Pump and motor have less than 100 hrs on them. The boat GPS's at 63 MPH with me and a half load of fuel. The pump is a basic setup with no loader, droop, diverter, etc

well if you could only do one... i would probably start with a place diverter since it has multiple uses. The PD will allow you to adjust the way the boat wants to ride at whatever speed your running. At WOT angled up it should help get the boat up out of the water. Cruising the PD is nice to have too. With my boat if the water is nice and smooth i will angle up a tiny bit and i can feel the boat pickup speed while the RPM's stay the same (better gas milage) and when it's rough some times i'll run it down alittle to help keep the nose down. And of course the roost, people love to roost

My boat with a PD and droop ran 82 MPH with alittle over 500 HP. Once you start running over 70 you will want to get a loader too, the loader will help feed the top of the pump. If you start running faster speeds with out a loader bad things can happen. On my boat after adding a loader it ran 86 MPH, i guess it's kind of uncommon to pickup that MPH with just a loader. Biggest thing i noticed with the loader was how much up and out of the water my boat felt.

Place Diverter, Droop, Loader.. that would probably be my order....

Shaun - thanks for the info, that is exactly the simplified step process I need.

BTW, what brand and size boat were you running? Impeller?

I'm running a 18ft Anthony with a 498 BBC in it. Motor down puts down about 670HP.

Back when i was running a 500 HP motor i ran an aluminum A impeller, i'm running a stainless A now.

What RPM did your 500HP motor turn with the aluminum A impeller?

Nice looking ride

It turned about 5500 RPM before, but it was a worn impeller, not in the greatest shape. My stainless A i have now turns 5500 RPM, i've been told though that my stainless i have now is closer to an A+ though.