Thread: Does anybody know the history of my boat? 78 Sleekcraft Aristocrat from Portage, WI?

Does anybody know the history of my boat? 78 Sleekcraft Aristocrat from Portage, WI?

Originally purchased from the shore of the wisconsin river, near Baraboo/Portage, right near the 90/94 bridge. Here is a picture:

It is now red and white (duh), but I've found some evidence of it being gold at one point. Also, after buffing the deck, there is a large circular shape on the front deck... possibly a race number, at one time? I would be interested in finding out more about it's history. There is no evidence of a name being on the transom....

Thank you in advance!

How big is the circle on the deck? You sure it's not were a gas fill used to be that sombody filled?

It's way too large for that. Probably 2 ft across, about the size of a racing sticker number. Hence why I wondered if it was ever raced....

Could have been. The fact it's on a dolly trailer would make me think it has. Do you have any more pics of it. The deck is pretty unique looking!

I love the look of your boat. We bought a white and blue 1978 sleekcraft last summer and I am trying to learn as much as I can about ours. (same Model). top speed is a disappointing 58 mph. gps.at 5800rpm. 3 people 20gals fuel. 460 ford trick flow heads,je jet, aggr bowl,a-1 impeller,top loader grate. lightning headers,apx. 500hp. boat does not come alive till 4000rpm then pulls strong to the 5800. The only history i see is made in California. ow do I find that extra 12mph???????

The boat should be running faster than that. Do you have a place diverter on it? With 500 HP i would think you should at least be in the high 60's. Mine (different hull) ran 86's with a little over 500 HP.

this boat has all the goodies, aggressor droop, victor 460 single plane intake,750demon carb,comp xm278 marine cam.and more. the pump seems to never run out of water unless i make a sharp turn. I have some drag points that need to be smoothed out. and i am dripping more water at shaft than i should. not sure if sucking air is a problem. one of the best looking jet boats I have ever seen. A little hard to get in and out of at my age but we love it.seems like it needs a more aggressive impeller but was told its an A-1,and should be all it needs.I am use to regulating engine speed with a prop. try to get pics up soon.

I just didnt see a Place Diverter in your list of goodies thats why i was asking.

I'm not sure who's impeller you have in your pump or what an A-1 is, but with Berk and AT impellers an A is pretty aggressive and you should need alot more power to pull the rpms up to 5800 RPM. The leak by the shaft could just be that you need to tighten up your packing seals, you dont want them too tight though. They should slowly drip water at an idle to help cool/lub the seals and shaft. It's possible that maybe your pump needs a rebuild. Somthing doesnt sound right to me, you should be able to run faster than 58 MPH with 500 HP.

Like i said, with my old 500ish HP deal, with a MPD loader, AT Droop, Place Diverter, and old worn berk A impeller the boat ran 86 MPH... Oh and i was spinning the 5500 RPM.

Do you have any video or pictures of the boat on a WOT pass? would be interesting to see how much boat is in the water.

Oh and BTW, My new motor which is pushing 670 HP with a new stainless AT A impeller i'm currently only spining 5400 RPM and the boat is running in the low 90's now.

Gets some pics up! Oh and Welcome to the boards!
    Last edited by shaun; 12-19-2010 at 12:21 PM.