Thread: Jet boat loss of performance

Jet boat loss of performance

Hi
    I have a North River jet boat with a 350 chevy powering an AT-309 American turbine. I usually can get 3900 RPM and 39 MPH out of my boat. About 3 weeks ago and all of a sudden I lost top end RPM (about 3200 maxed out) and I can only get 34 MPH. I have dealt with fuel filters, added fuel additives cleaned the distributor and spark plugs look good. The engine only has 100 hours on it since rebuild. The leading edges of the turbine impeller does have nicks in it but American Turbine told me that would not make that kind of performance difference. Does anyone have any suggestions as what I might do. Thanks

Try the easy stuff first....Check distributor timing in case distributor timing moved or loose.
    Check throttle linkage to make sure you are actually getting full throttle. Check air cleaner or whatever for collapse or restriction. Good luck, G

Thanks Rotorrider

I did all that, but I found no compression in number 6 cylinder. Finally pulled head and I had a bent valve. It is fixed and all performance power restored as before.

Good deal !! Glad it was nothing worse...was the valve sticking, or something else?
    Anyway, have fun, and the usual be safe....
    Gordon