Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Street legal Supermoto

Speedin' Ian
    What do you guys think of this bike? My brother and I are kicking around the idea of picking a couple up. From what I am told it is the same exact motor as the race bike... just different exhaust and jetting (they include different jets for offroad use ) Anyone have bad or good info on them?
    http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2006/06_SM510.html

HMF'er
    Husky's have had reliability issues over the past 10 years. Not to mention parts are expensive compared to the Japanese bikes. I would look into the KTM, or build my own supermoto bike out of a Japanese bike.

Speedin' Ian
    The reliability was my biggest concern, I was told the new motor is completely different, but we won't really know until someone puts some miles on one. I wanted a KTM but they don't make a street legal verzion, and the only other company who builds a street legal verzion is Suzuki and it is based off their DRZ :yuk: . So then I could make a CRF 450X street legal and convert it to supermoto, but it would cost a lot more and I have heard the small oil capacities of the trans and motor will not sustain the heat associated with prolonged use on the street and guys are experiencing motor failure. I know on a 40-80 mile desert race my 450R burn a bit of oil.

looky_lou
    I am sure that Honda and Yamaha are probably working on something as we speak.

Speedin' Ian
    Cola that looks bitchen, but I want street legal so that I can cruise around town and down to the beach.
    looky lou I'm sure you're right but I want now!!! And I really don't think the CRF or YZF motors will last on the street.

HMF'er
    Cola that looks bitchen, but I want street legal so that I can cruise around town and down to the beach.
    looky lou I'm sure you're right but I want now!!! And I really don't think the CRF or YZF motors will last on the street.
    I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the reliability issue with street use had to do with excess pressure on the shift forks or another transmission component as the rubber on the road does not have as much slip as on the dirt. If you're not putting too many miles on it, you may not have much to worry about it.
    I have heard good things about Baja Designs in the San Diego area for enduro / street legal conversions for motocrossers. Look them up.

onesloryd
    If I am not mistaken Husaberg makes one.

cola
    I have a 06 CRF450X with a plate in California. I dont think the Huskie will live any longer then one of these. I could be wrong, it has happened before.

cola
    If I am not mistaken Husaberg makes one.
    I have friends with Husabergs, they have Hondas to ride while waiting for parts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast