Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 496 HO headers

Beer-30
    They make them in the 32" version as opposed to the standard 36" wide models. Fits better with twins.
    Their website isn't very informative about the 8.1s. CPPerformance has them listed on their site, though. Well, the 36 inchers, anyway.
    Here's Lightning:
    www.boatheaders.com

Not So Fast
    There is no doubt that the kit is not all it's cracked up to be. There wasn't one part of the relocation kit that bolted right on. If you ever get the chance, look closely at the stock 496 manifolds with the riser removed. The exhaust ports are tiny, 2 inches or smaller. After hearing about how great the stock 496 exhaust is, I was amazed at how restrictive the stock system really is. I have to believe that any increase in top speed, resulting from CMI's, will vary by hull design and specific motor.
    John M
    Thanks John, after you have had them for a while and the WOW factor has worn off please report your findings. I see that by most reports that Ultra and Cobra speed ##'s are running about 6-7mph faster than my Magic 496HO Bravo 1X, 24 Bravo 1 4 blade (68mph optimum test conditions, 1/2 fuel, 2 people, not stripped, in Feb on Havasu) but if it turned out to give me the increase you say you saw then :idea: !!! Did you test on the river or Lake Mohave since I see you in Bullhead. Thanks, NSF

dicudmore
    Thanks John, after you have had them for a while and the WOW factor has worn off please report your findings. I see that by most reports that Ultra and Cobra speed ##'s are running about 6-7mph faster than my Magic 496HO Bravo 1X, 24 Bravo 1 4 blade (68mph optimum test conditions, 1/2 fuel, 2 people, not stripped, in Feb on Havasu) but if it turned out to give me the increase you say you saw then :idea: !!! Did you test on the river or Lake Mohave since I see you in Bullhead. Thanks, NSF
    Bobby I see John's Ultra in Havasu almost every weekend

rivertoy2
    I had Lightings put on my 496HO. I have a deck boat and saw only about 2 mph. My mechanic who is merc certified, said he would never use Lighting again. He had to fabricate too much stuff, the tech line was couldn't answer questions for him, and it took him 3 days. I don't think Lighting did enough R and D on them before going to market. Although I don't know for a fact, some mechanics have said the internals on the Lightings rust out after about 3 years.

Not So Fast
    Bobby I see John's Ultra in Havasu almost every weekend
    We dont boat on weekends very much Dan but thanks anyway. My mechanic says the kits (CMI) are pretty insuffcient and have cheessy parts plus they require a lot of work plus they are very pricey so thats why I'm asking so many questions. If I could gain 5mph (which i seriously doubt) then maybe but I would have to see the finished product close up first. Always lookin to go faster you know. Hear you are selling the Ultra??? How come?? NSF (Bobby)

Cattitude1
    I'm liking the Bassett's- better deal, good rep and they have a Tri-Y design which I like for better scavenging. There is no relo kit but I can make my own and the CMI kit doe not sound so bolt on anyway.
    Ray at Raylar confirmed similar results to CMI's and offered that they were a little more compact so they'll be easier to fit in my Daytona- maybe a touch less bling but I'm good with that.
    Ray also said that he is working with Dana marine to test their new 496 ex soon to be available
    How did this thread get in outdrive tech??

ULTRA26 # 1
    We dont boat on weekends very much Dan but thanks anyway. My mechanic says the kits (CMI) are pretty insuffcient and have cheessy parts plus they require a lot of work plus they are very pricey so thats why I'm asking so many questions. If I could gain 5mph (which i seriously doubt) then maybe but I would have to see the finished product close up first. Always lookin to go faster you know. Hear you are selling the Ultra??? How come?? NSF (Bobby)
    Bobby,
    The quality of the relocation parts, that come with the CMI kit, are of the same or better than the Merc parts they replace. The difficulties, with the kit are related to fit, or lack of. Minor modifications are required. The kit contained everything needed to install. The install was not quick or simple and the instructions were poor. I did not have fun with this one. Nonetheless, I would do it again, without doubt. So you know, I'm not impressed or influenced by "wow factor"
    John M

Not So Fast
    Bobby,
    The quality of the relocation parts, that come with the CMI kit, are of the same or better than the Merc parts they replace. The difficulties, with the kit are related to fit, or lack of. Minor modifications are required. The kit contained everything needed to install. The install was not quick or simple and the instructions were poor. I did not have fun with this one. Nonetheless, I would do it again, without doubt. So you know, I'm not impressed or influenced by "wow factor"
    John M
    Thanks John, the word cheesy applied to how and where they wanted things done like relocatation, not the parts themselves. "Wow" was used in the sense that any improvement is met with unbridled exctasy Thanks, Bobby

ULTRA26 # 1
    Thanks John, the word cheesy applied to how and where they wanted things done like relocatation, not the parts themselves. "Wow" was used in the sense that any improvement is met with unbridled exctasy Thanks, Bobby
    Bobby,
    I undersstand. If you end up going with CMI's I believe you will be happy about the reults too. Good luck with what ever you decide.
    John M

Not So Fast
    Bobby,
    I undersstand. If you end up going with CMI's I believe you will be happy about the reults too. Good luck with what ever you decide.
    John M
    John, I'm hoping my swap to an HP 500 this winter comes to fruition so I'll wait cause they come with CMI's and a little more of what I like, HORSE POWER We'll see, I've got my fingers crossed. Bobby

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast