Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery question

Nord
    I currently am running 2 deep cycles in my boat right now with a battery selector. I run the selector on all for the stereo and want to add a Optima gel cel deep cycle. I'm going to add it inline with one of the deep cycle (costco) batteries. Do you guys see any problems with this??
    Thanks
    ~NORD~

ANXIETY ATTACK
    run the 2 deep cycle paralell on 1 and the gell on 2, run the boat and charge on both and turn the selecton to 1 , 2 , or off when sitting listning to the stereo, run the stereo on deep or gell, not both, putting different type batterys in paralell will create circulating currents and drain all over time

h2oski2fast
    You don;t want to parallel batteries that are from different ratings, manufacturer, size, or age. They will not charge correctly together. So, an Optima w/ a "costco deep cycle" is not a good idea. It won;t damage anything, but it won't charge the two batteries correcty (either under charge one, or over charge the other).

Redding Rat
    I have an RV so this type of question comes about all the time. If you tie it into another battery, both batteries should be the same age and in the same shape or one battery will never charge correctly. If it were me I would start with two new batteries and tie them together. The actual best way with the best capicty would be to take 2 6 volt batteries and wire them in series to get 12 volts and this will give you more listening time before recharging. Also remember not to discharge the batteries all the way, they won't last very long. They should recharged once they get down by about 50%.
    Redding Rat

RiverDave
    You don;t want to parallel batteries that are from different ratings, manufacturer, size, or age. They will not charge correctly together. So, an Optima w/ a "costco deep cycle" is not a good idea. It won;t damage anything, but it won't charge the two batteries correcty (either under charge one, or over charge the other).
    Looks like I gotta put a perko in the wakeboard boat.. HHHmmm
    RD

Nord
    Now I need to decide on buying another one or doubling up the other two.
    Dammit!!!!

h2oski2fast
    I have an RV so this type of question comes about all the time. If you tie it into another battery, both batteries should be the same age and in the same shape or one battery will never charge correctly. If it were me I would start with two new batteries and tie them together. The actual best way with the best capicty would be to take 2 6 volt batteries and wire them in series to get 12 volts and this will give you more listening time before recharging. Also remember not to discharge the batteries all the way, they won't last very long. They should recharged once they get down by about 50%.
    Redding Rat
    You might want to do a search in the audio section before bringing that up..... your gonna open a can of worms.

h2oski2fast
    Looks like I gotta put a perko in the wakeboard boat.. HHHmmm
    RD
    Or have someone do it for you....... Have you figured out which side of the screwdriver to use, yet?

Jordy
    I currently am running 2 deep cycles in my boat right now with a battery selector. I run the selector on all for the stereo and want to add a Optima gel cel deep cycle. I'm going to add it inline with one of the deep cycle (costco) batteries. Do you guys see any problems with this??
    Thanks
    ~NORD~
    Do you have a separate battery for starting so when you run the stereo into the ground you're still able to start the boat and get home??? Perkos are nice as long as you remember to change them over and charge them when you're done.
    Oh, and if you really want to stir it up, mention 6 volts and then ask about adding a cap.
    Personally, I like my 6 volts. Haven't let me down yet. Will play all day on kill.

Nord
    O.k, can I run 2 yellow cap 870's on one side of the selector
    and 1 costco deep cycle on the other ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast