Thread: Outdrive trim control

Winfab
    I've never owned a boat with an outdrive till last year. I had intermittent problems that the trim didn't work and now this year it won't work at all. I can hear the pump run when I depress the "override" button and switch "up" or "down", but it doesn't move in any direction. Even tried to help it by lifting up on it.....nothing. Suggestions?

Winfab
    Oh, forgot to mention....it's an 888 outdrive. Maybe that helps?

T-56
    Does the system have fluid in it?
    If so does the fluid have air in it?
    Other than that check for free range of movement w/ the trim disconnected and for blockages in the lines.

Winfab
    T-56.....thanks for the suggestions. This boat sat unused for a number of years till last year. I was suprised that many things worked as well as they did.
    I plan to check into the outdrive tilt today. I read in some other similar posts on outdrives about bleeding lines by cracking fittings a bit. To check free range of motion, you're suggesting to do that by disconnecting the lift rams I suppose?
    Thanks again.

T-56
    To check free range of motion, you're suggesting to do that by disconnecting the lift rams I suppose?
    That's what I'd do. You can have the nicest trim system in the world but if the foot is stuck (very rare but I've seen it) you still ain't got squat...

Winfab
    Well it was simple and I guess I am too. It needed fluid. Topped it off with 5W30 oil as the sticker said and all works as advertised. It took about 20 Oz. so now I guess the next issue will be, "where's it going?" The boat hadn't been used for about 8 Yrs. up until last summer so maybe it was a really s-l-o-o-o-w leak.
    Worst part was finding the fill port. I found the vent right away and kept thinking there was no way a hydraulic system would have to be filled through a hole about 3/16". Finally realized that what I had taken as a "corner bolt" was indeed the fill port. A little labeling might be nice..... Maybe that's Mercruiser's way to keep people like me from servicing their own things.
    T-56.....thanks for putting me on the right track.

T-56
    T-56.....thanks for putting me on the right track.
    I'll send you a bill... :crossx: