Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: disc or drum brakes??

dumbandyoung
    When I built my new trailer, I laid out the spring hangers first, prior to anything. Triangulate the hangers to the hitch ball, particularly the first one on each side. If you buy new axles, and have to weld on the spring perches, locate the brake mounting pads equal distance from the frame rails, left and right. That will center the axles. The spring hangers will locate them front to back. My trailer tracks nicely. The build is documented in my gallery, and here.
    Trailer Build (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...oject+hawaiian)
    it came out nice too. good job!

Boatlesss
    Kodiac Brakes, (this is the supplier to most of the trailer companies) has a disc conversion kit.
    Don't waste your $$$ on leaf springs. Get the torsion bar axles and disc brakes and forget about trailer maintainance.

HOTPURSUIT
    Kodiac Brakes, (this is the supplier to most of the trailer companies) has a disc conversion kit.
    Don't waste your $$$ on leaf springs. Get the torsion bar axles and disc brakes and forget about trailer maintainance.
    You should never forget about trailer maintenance..
    Torsion Axles are nice, however theres alot more to it.
    Torsion Axles do not equalize .. this means that when going over a high spot in the road (in/out of a driveway) for example, you momentarily put the entire weight of the load onto 1 axle. With traditional springs they equalize/compensate each other and distribute the load evenly to each axle. This is more important when you have heavier 3-axle loads. Most torsion axle manufacturers will not warranty torsion axles when used on a 3 axle trailer configuration.
    Also, if you damage a torsion arm, chances are you are going to have to replace the enitre axle (for sure if the arm is welded on). If you damage a spring then you can fix that on the side of the road. But not with torsions..
    Also, water could get inside of the tube and rust from the inside out...
    But I do like the way torsions axles ride... they sit the boat lower, smoother ride and no springs to rust out.

1999baja
    I converted over two years ago to S.S. dic and calipeirs with no problems.No rust and thats with salt water.

sleekcraft78
    When converting over to disc, do you have to change the master cyl? I had to use a bigger master on my jeep when I did a rear disc setup. Disc brakes take more fluid to push the pads out than drums.
    Is this the same case on trailer brakes?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123