Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fish and Game enforcement

Intruder
    Last Saturday, on the return trip from Topock I was stopped by the Fish and Game for excessive noise in the area of the reserve just before the mouth of Havasu. No craziness, just cursing at about 45 mph but alone on the river. They did the standard Coast Guard safety equip. and sobriety check. I know that the allowable decibel levels differ depending upon the jurisdiction. What I don't know is the legal Federal level and none was noted on the citation. Many boats on the lake are much louder than mine!! Has anyone received a similar ticket and what was the outcome?

Kachina26
    No craziness, just cursing at about 45 mph but alone on the river.
    You got popped for cursing?
    J/K, I think max Db is 86 at 50 feet. What did they get you at?

carbonmarine
    EVERYONE IS GOING TO GET POPPED THIS WEEKEND......watch!

91nordic29
    see this thread
    topock gorge crack down (http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115926)

Intruder
    It is not stated on the citation. Before being stopped I saw what I thought was a Sheriff with his boat jammed into the reeds spying the traffic going down river. I was never within 500 feet of him...

Havasu_Dreamin
    Seems like they are getting serious with enforcing the laws on the books.

Not So Fast
    Last Saturday, on the return trip from Topock I was stopped by the Fish and Game for excessive noise in the area of the reserve just before the mouth of Havasu. No craziness, just cursing at about 45 mph but alone on the river. They did the standard Coast Guard safety equip. and sobriety check. I know that the allowable decibel levels differ depending upon the jurisdiction. What I don't know is the legal Federal level and none was noted on the citation. Many boats on the lake are much louder than mine!! Has anyone received a similar ticket and what was the outcome?
    More info please, what kind of boat,swimstep,motor ect. do you have any idea what your reading would be? Seems to me that the citation would have to say what kind of test was administered and at what level you were. Are you saying they just gave it the ole "ear test" as you went by? How could that stand up in a court of law without documentation. I think that we as a group (boaters) have to get as smart as we can get and know the law and if we can fight bogus citations we need to do it. I for one will do just that, this story doesn't sound right to me from a legal standpoint, Maybe BoatCop can clarify, please NSF

RiverDave
    I didn't think there was a "federal" level? I.E. Fish and Game shouldn't write that ticket, but the coppers could?
    RD

Havasu_Dreamin
    Cross-post
    Thanks for sending us your thoughts on the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge sections of the Colorado River. I hope I can answer your questions.
    You are correct, it is impossible for you to travel from the I-40 bridge to the north end of Lake Havasu without passing through the refuge. National wildlife refuges are unique areas that have purposes and protections different from most other types of public lands and waters. We must ensure that all public use activities are safe and compatible with the purposes of the refuge. Any activity creating noise at extreme volumes is disturbing to wildlife and reduces the value of the refuge to wildlife (and visitors). The noise created by many of the boats traveling through the refuge is extreme and their use is incompatible with the purposes of the refuge.
    As to the definition of loud... National Wildlife Refuge regulations are provided in 50 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations; available on-line). Disturbing with vehicles regulations are provided at 50 CFR 27.21(e)(1). This section does not indicate a specific decibel level that is considered too loud; it states simply a vehicle that produces unusual or excessive noise... is prohibited. With this in mind, refuge officers typically refer to state noise regulations for guidance. Most boats we have stopped for excessive noise are in very clear violation of state law. If you comply with Arizona and/or California law, you will be O.K. on the refuge in most instances. Also, 50 CFR 27.21(e)(1) requires that every vehicle operated on a national wildlife refuge be equipped with a muffling device that cannot be bypassed.
    Please feel free to contact the refuge anytime, we appreciate your interest.
    John Earle
    Refuge Manager
    Havasu National Wildlife Refuge
    PO Box 3009
    Needles, California 92363
    (760) 326-3853

Not So Fast
    So this guy is saying that basically the Ranger (or whatever they are called) can arbitrarily say you are too loud without a test of any sort. Thats not right!!!!!! :yuk: NSF

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast