Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any die hard Tahiti fans?

Bense468
    You have a tahiti...i have a paddle.

Tahiti350
    If the Pedal is still available, I'd like to get in line for it. I want to convert my hand controls, install a foot pedal and use the hand control for just a shifter. Would be super cool to have an old school Tahiti pedal for it.

Jake W2
    You guys vote I will send it to them.
    Tahitijet also was intrested he was the one and only PM I had about it.
    I all so have a regular foot pedal same base littel wider and has V type pattren on it same deal cable is stuck and cut off at the base.
    Jake

Cas
    who responded first that wanted it? if it was me, send it to old rigger. If not, send it to old rigger anyway. He's got more history with Tahiti than all of us put together.

Tahiti350
    I have a Nicson Stringer mount pedal assy from a V-flattie, but my Tahiti is a short stringer model with a flat floor. If anyone has a floor mount pedal (any brand) and wants to trade.....
    OH yeah, Let Old Rigger have the Tahiti pedal...

GottaJet
    lol. Yes, I think we are all pack rats.
    I'll tell ya, after my dad died, I was going through his stuff. He had 2, 2 car garage's full of tools, boat parts and hot rod parts. Not to mention his Model A and his old Hawaiian. I brought it home and stuffed it all into my 2 car garage, along with my crap.
    I slowly went through it all, kept one roll-a-way full of tools for my son, who was only 11 at the time (now in college) and gave all the other tools and the other roll-a-way to friends. These are old school roll-a-ways too, nothing like the nice stuff today. I'll probably buy a new one for my son when the time comes, put all the tools in it and just keep that ol battered thing of my dad's in the garage. I kinda like having it around.
    I kept some of the boat stuff that dated back to the mid 60's Tahiti days for myself. Mostly old NOS stewart warner gauges and some other stuff. Saving it for that one last Tahiti I find that I want to restore. Had a JG berk, an old jetovater, a bunch of other berkeley stuff that I gave away cause I just knew I'd never have another jet boat. Hah! What a dope. This was all unused stuff too.
    Sold the Model A and the boat, something I regret very much. I had a boat and a hot rod when he died, but I didn't realize just how fast time would fly by, I should have kept that stuff for my kids.
    He had boxs and boxs of boat stuff, things I never thought I'd need in a million years. I ended up giving it all away to some of my friends and some of his friends, all of whom are boaters and all liked the idea of having some of his old stuff. He was the kind of guy that'd just give you the part for your boat anyway, so I figured he'd be pissed if I tried to sell that stuff. It all went to good homes.
    Sure as shit, I've found myself needing something I got rid of more than once and have needed what I kept of his very little! Never fails. Can't keep it all I guess. He sounded like a hell of a guy! Nice to hear you have continued that legacy. The world would be a much nicer place if we all treated our neighbor's this way. my .02 Lawrence

NORDIC_RIG
    Jake, I'm about as die hard as they come when it comes to Tahiti's. I'd love to pick that up for a future project, to go with the emblems I kept off the 29th one built.
    Have any idea what you want for it?
    howdy
    old rigger what years did u rig at tahiti , i was there when that big company bought them ( cant rember the name ) . think i was there for 4 years or so . before that all a wreidt boats .
    fun to read about this old jet building days , 7 or 8 boats a day ! cant build that many in 2 weeks now lol .
    cya mike

nordic rig,
    I never rigged at Tahiti. My dad started to work there in 66, as a rigger, and stayed there until Dick started Hawaiian. Back then, as you know, Jerry's place was just up the street and in the early days, before my dad started, Jerry would rig for Tahiti now and then. About the time he stopped was about the time my dad started, they over lapped a little. I think this was just a pick-up type of deal, just a few boats here and there to help Schuster out. After all he did have his own shop, but riggers were hard to come by when the jet thing exploded. The rigger that taught my dad to rig, in one day, was Tak, short for Takomoto if memory serves. Can't remember his last name, maybe he didn't have one. Remember him?
    3 of my dads' friends from high school rigged for Schuster part time after work. This would have been at the very beginings of Tahiti, late 64 and 1965. They were rigging mostly the outboards when Dick was still up in that little building on Lkwd blvd, and they got my dad into it. I think to do the jets. lol No one wanted to do those. They were Bob Blocker, Roger Hoover and Bobby Oran. Hoover was also buddies with Bob Massey who was also at one tiime in that small original shop off lakewood.
    Although I made wire looms for my dad as a kid, if I wanted to stay up late on a Friday or Sat night, I had to make dash looms for him. He made a little wood jig and I'd make looms while watching Gunsmoke. lol I can remember how hard it was at first to crimp the terminal on the wire with my little 11 years old hands, I didn't start working at Tahiti until I was about 13, ride my bike to the shop, pick up dog shit (remember that big mean german shepard?) cut wood, wax molds, sweep the shop, clean boats, stack wood, pick up more dog shit. I've never seen a dog that could crap that much, don't know what Dick fed that thing but it cleaned him out. That was still in the 3 big buildings off Lkwd but even after the move to Cerritos, I'd ride my bike there too until I could drive.
    Do you remember when Bell inc. bought out Dick, around 1970 or so, Bell also made these cool little go-carts with a glass body, and we ended up with a blue flake one? (I say 'we' as if I owned the place, but I was the one who got to drive that thing after school everyday in the dirt yard in front of the buildings, after the riggers had thrashed the poor bastard, it was pretty funl)
    When Hawaiian fired up I had just graduated high school in '74 and went to work there in the glass dept. Of course my dad went there too. When they folded up I went to Rogers and thats where I learned to rig, 1980.
    My dad got out of it at the same time, after the energy crunch.
    You two must have worked together back in the late 60's early 70's, his name was Dick Turner.

maxwedge
    Hmm...wiring by 11 year olds watching TV. I guess that explains this dash wiring in my Sidewinder. They must have carried on the tradition in WI. LOL
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...06/2890sma.JPG

tahitian dragon
    love to find hot foot & embelms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!mines a 73 19ft 468 bbc fun fun fun!!!!!!!!!!!! If u still have it and how $.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast