Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: subfloor

'75 Miller
    Is the subfloor in a full stringered semi-v jet boat a structural element or merely a flat surface to walk on? Will my hull lose much strength or rididity by leaving the subfloor out after I've finished my glass repair? I'm thinking I'd rather glass in some 1/2 round pine strips (left in pic) for reinforcement and ditch the subfloor. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

SmokinLowriderSS
    IMO, yes, it is a major stiffener, as is any foam trapped between it and the hull (unless there is a bunch of space there) The main thing it will reduce is hull TWIST flex. The stringewrs will deal with folding forces but will allow the hull to twist like a twizzler a lot more than you think.

Tn_River_Ratt
    Put the floor back in and fill with foam. It will stiffen and help with deadning sound also. My $.02

bakerjet
    lots of full stringer boats do not have floors, just my .02 cents

Cas
    those don't look like full stringers but more like full length floor supports. What size lumber is that? They only appear to be maybe a 2x4 "stringers"?

'75 Miller
    My "stringers" appear to be 2x6's cut down to 5". That pic was taken standing on a 6 foot ladder and yeah they do look more like 2x4's. They're 12 1/2 feet long from the transom to about 10" past the bulkhead @ the top of the pic. I ASSumed they were full-length because with the hull angling up and in towards the tip of the bow I didn't think they could be any longer.

Cas
    I'm thinking that those are floor supports and the hull needs the floor to be reglassed in to give it the strength it needs. What's nice about what you have is you could put a pretty good sized storage locker down the center.

'75 Miller
    So they're not stringers? Can someone who's boat sports full stringers please post a picture? The plywood floor that I removed didn't sit atop the stringers, but rather sat between them.

YumaBiesemeyer
    Ok, here's a vote for not structural. I have seen many boats without them that are very light weight and they have many hard hours on them. They all do have full length stringers.

Cas
    I'm thinking you should talk to someone with a Miller to compare apples to apples. My 19' Tahiti had very similar "stringers" as yours but the floor was mounted to the top. My current boat has full 2x6 stringers with a floor on top but I've seen the same boat without the floor and the 2x6's.
    Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll do a lot of info gathering first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast