Thread: Pickle forks with jets?

jet496
    I like the reliability & safety of a jet (hitting bottom, things, people)...(fixing lower units, gears, props) but I am also seriously considering a pickle fork.
    For some reason I'm not too sauvvy on them, even though I've been boating for 25 years.
    Is a jet pratical or should I just buckle under & learn the proper etiquette with outboards?
    I had an outboard 20 years ago (I'm 41 now) & it cost me more pain & suffering than I could afford at the time. I hit a wing-dam in the Mississippi (Davenport). The lower unit & prop cost more than I paid for the boat.
    After fixing that a buddy filled up my tank without mixing oil with the gas (you probably don't remember those days) & wasted the motor... with a major storm rolling in fast...floating down the Mississsippi with barges heading straight for us with no ability to stop & 3 tornados accompanied it (didn't see any). FUN, FUN, FUN.
    Anyway, now that I'm older & maybe wiser, I might just venture back to an outboard.
    Ultra & DCB would be my choices at this point (San Diego). Ultra definetly would beat DCB's prices and Ultra's one hell of a company, from rigging (Mike Harlan & crew) to ownership (John & leah West).
    Serious Feedback Please?
    [ August 02, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: jet496 ]

565edge
    I would call tom papp at tom papp racing,1 909 734 4606.hes got a 19,21 and a 21 fundeck,his boats are sweet and his price is alot cheaper than others.his boat is called a edge.

KDOG
    If you are looking for a 19' shadow I happen to have a 2001 for sale. Picture at web page
    [ August 06, 2002, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: KDOG ]

HavasuDreamin'
    Give the board some basics so that the feed back is better suited for what you want.
    1. $$$$ looking to spend?
    2. How fast do you want to go?
    3. How many people are you looking to seat comfortably?
    4. Where do you boat mostly.......how shallow?
    I can vouge for Papp's boats, they are well made and fast. If you are looking to seat at least 4 (plus all their stuff) a 19' Pickle is out of the question..........to small, even in an O/B. You need a 21' minimum. If you go for a 21' Pickle, with a jet, you are going to be squeezed with four peeps and all their stuff. With a 21' Pickle O/B, you will have more room, but you will also need a 300X (IMHO if you want the boat to run well).
    It comes down to priorities. Money, how fast, # of people you want to carry, where you boat.
    Here are some other hulls to think about...
    Eliminator 21' or 22'
    Stoker 20' or 22'
    Liberator 21'
    Good Luck

jet496
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still at odds as to the quantity of people thing. That's why I love my 21 foot open bow Ultra. This pickle fork issue is going to be tough for me due to the family.
    I need to fit alot of people in.
    I know I'll get one once the kids are grown & have their own boats, that is if I live that long. At that point, a boat that seats four & goes 90 will be perfect.

Blown509Liberator
    Up to five , hight freeboard and 100mph what more can you ask for?

Liberator TJ1984
    For pleasure a deep hull picklefork has lots of room and stable in chop..smooth riding...stay with a larger boat..I have a 19' Daytona Style ..very stable ride but limited on passengers and space ..look at them all before you buy...good luck

Froggystyle
    Are you considering keeping the 21' and adding the pickle? That is what I am going to do. I have just had too much fun driving PICKLEtheLOAD's 19' Shadow around lately. He had four people in his over Memorial Day in Parker with no real problems.
    I think you are in San Diego if memory serves... why don't you come along and see if you like it? It is not a family boat per se, but you can definitely fit 4 peeps in it with minimal gear.
    I gave PTL an inflatable tow vehicle for his that you can put your cooler, chairs and EZ up into and get to the sandbar. It works great. Plus it keeps gear out of the upholstery!
    If you want a ride... let me know.
    Wes

jet496
    I would definetly have to keep the family boat.
    I happened to ride in a pickle last year, doing 110 mph (at Lake Vincente..believe it or not) & was very impressed (and concerned at the same time) with the smooth ride. I know at least two people who have caught the wrong air underneath & took off for the moon. Luckily they were all OK.
    I 'm a firm believer in "you gotta walk before you can run", so I would definetly be interested in test driving a few to make sure they are my cup of tea.
    We'll be at the River (Hidden Shores) next weekend (Aug 15, 16, 17 & 18) & San Vincente this Sunday.
    Thanks