Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Charged motor oil

carreraboat
    I need to know what types of oil you guys use in your large horsepower engines and how often you change it
    bo

Craig
    Mobil 1, every 20 hours.

DogHouse
    I run Mobil 1. Filling those big offshore pans with that liquid gold is painful though. Haven't paid a lot of attention to the hour interval. Usually works out to once over winter break and once or twice during the season.
    Side note, I just installed a drain valve setup that should make changing oil a little easier next time.
    -brian

blown23vee
    Hey doghouse, talk to me about drain valve set up!!! If I have to pump that stuff out with this
    #*$*@ little electric pump one more time spraying oil all over I'm gonna go postal!!

blown23vee
    small side note...I've been using castrol 20/50. Do you guys think I should switch? What weight mobile one are you using??

DogHouse
    My Dooley pan has a 1/2" NPT fitting along with the normal drain plug. I just picked up some fittings at Ace to step that down to 1/4" NPT, then a ball valve to a flare fitting with cap. To change oil, I'll just pull off the cap, screw on a flare to barb adapter with 10' of rubber hose running out the boat's drain plug to the oil bucket, and open the valve. Viola, no muss no fuss. Sounds good in theory, now we have to see how it works out in practice!
    -brian

Kurtis500
    I choose the oil based on main and rod bearing clearances. 40wt.

gnarley
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by carreraboat:
    I need to know what types of oil you guys use in your large horsepower engines and how often you change it
    bo

carreraboat, do a search on oil there have been a few good discussions on the topic. Oil & weight are personal preferences that are dependant on year of the engine, who built it, clearances etc... Mine is Valvoline racing 50wt in a mild blown 454.

Robbie Racer
    I run Mobil 1 15-50 wt. and change it every 40 hours. I think the change frequency will depend on if you are running air cleaners or not and how rich the motor is at an idle. This motor has good K&N air cleaners and is pretty lean so it doesn't get dirty very quickly. My last motor ran rich at an idle and didn't have air cleaners and seemed to get dirty much more quickly. That's my .02.

HeavyHitter
    Moble 1 15-50. Used to use Castrol 20-50 but after a dyno session where the operator kept shutting the engine off as soon as the pull was over, sold me on Moble 1. The oil draining out of the turbos into the pan sounded like pop-corn popping through a closed door (ouch). I thought the oil and the turbo bearings were cooked. Tore everything down and all was fine. Oil didn't look any worse for wear. Did 16 more pulls with the same oil non below 2000 hp. Still can't get this guy to remember to idle turbos down for a bit after a big pull (used to blowers, but he's a friend so what can I do). Last dicussion was change the kill switch to metal and put 110V to it on a 5 minute timing relay to ensure he lets the engine idle down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast