Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hilborn Injection Problems

Kurtis500
    Sounds like what was stated before, you have a spring opening to early allowing too much fuel. Also may be your barrel valve opened up too much or improper set-up on the idle setting. You can take the intake line off and look in there at the spool and see if the ramp is just showing. Turn the spool and see which way it goes.

Like Bob said everyone will do things a little different.
    Experience is priceless with these deals. With Bob's help my deal came together pretty darn well & did not take to much time.
    I highly recomend spending some time HERE (http://kinsler.com/hand31.html)
    Lots of usefull information.

Fiat48
    O.k.
    Yes, I did leave out some 0's.If I squirt fuel in the stacks she lights right off so I'm sure everything else is right.I will put together a flow deal and find out exactly where things the bypasses unload,barrel valve is set, the main jet can does have the light spring,secodary the heavy.Have to work on my lingo.Nozzles are # 9's.Butterflys are set.I'm not sure how to post up pics,but I can send them to someone to post.Thanks,I will keep ya posted on the progress.
    Send me the pics. If you can get to Chowchilla or CFW....with or without the boat I can show you what to do.

WannabeRacing
    One quick thing morg. That is a lot of leakdown. If it runs well, then great. Keep it there. Don't change a thing. Maybe your pump is not a biggie, and needs some fuel at idle. But that would be the exception and not the rule. The rule for alcohol is 18 to 22%. Gas is a little less.
    And dang, the boat looks good.
    And FlatRat. Where are you. Get it to my shop and we will get it straight. I am sure others would help just the same, but BF Egypt does not help with location. . . :rollside:

olbiezer
    gee bf egypt..that could be here by jackson mississippi

FlatRat
    One quick thing morg. That is a lot of leakdown. If it runs well, then great. Keep it there. Don't change a thing. Maybe your pump is not a biggie, and needs some fuel at idle. But that would be the exception and not the rule. The rule for alcohol is 18 to 22%. Gas is a little less.
    And dang, the boat looks good.
    And FlatRat. Where are you. Get it to my shop and we will get it straight. I am sure others would help just the same, but BF Egypt does not help with location. . . :rollside:
    10 miles from the Canadian border....the great Northwest aka Bf Egypt.Well I made a tester and the main can starts leaking air @ 3lbs and is full open @ 6 lbs.The secondary is leaking air @ around 15 lbs and fully unloading @ 30 lbs.I pulled the top fitting off of the barrel valve and the spool is right @ the ramp when butterflies are closed.Not sure what you guys mean when you say the b/v needs to be a certain %.The secondary bypass fitting on th b/v had spring and shim under it.I uderstand that it has way too much fuel @ start up.So I should put the bigger pill in to bypass more fuel to tank?I have 100-125 and then 150-170....Flooded Rat :rollside:

WannabeRacing
    The ramp on the b-valve is very particular.
    There is a little tool that measures what percent of the total flow that will go through the b-valve. There is a little double threaded link between the b-valve and the throttle linkage that will turn the arm of the b-valve closer to wide open one way, and further away from wide open. You want the ramp to where 18 to 22 percent of full low actually passes through at idle. (For most applications.) If you are at 30%, it will flood at idle, no matter what pill you have in the fuel system. If you are at 10% it will be too lean, no matter the pill. That is what you want to adjust for the idle. Take the jam nuts loose, then turn that arm until the thing will idle without flooding. Then tighten the nuts back up to keep it there. You may need minor adjustments from there, but get it to where it will idle, then play with pills and stuff. It would be nice to plug the thing to the right tool and get it right with the engine off, but if you do not have it, then plan b. Play with that adjustment until the thing will idle. I wish you were closer. A few minutes at my shop and we could get it running.
    Try this and check back.

Moneypitt
    Sounds like what was stated before, you have a spring opening to early allowing too much fuel. Also may be your barrel valve opened up too much or improper set-up on the idle setting. You can take the intake line off and look in there at the spool and see if the ramp is just showing. Turn the spool and see which way it goes.
    He has a spring/poppet opening LATE, keeping the by pass CLOSED at idle, forcing too much fuel into it. From what he has reported about opening pressures I'm wondering which way the poppets are facing? ........Ray

Fiat48
    I wish Gofastracer was here. he da gas man...sure he would say put a light spring in that secondary but I really fear confusing Flatrat with all this. So I am gonna shut up.

Moneypitt
    Bob, we run the lightest spring in the "can" without a pill. The can with the pill is shimmed to hold the pressure longer, (45lbs or so). His opening numbers don't seem all that far off, thats why I'm wondering if the "cans are in backwards, making a total block off of any by passing. OR, he's got an alky barrel valve?.....And Yes Art would be an asset at this point in time. As mentioned by someone else, even you, "if it were here .." it would be a snap.........Ray

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast