Thread: oil cooler rebuild?

lilrick
    I have two Dan Olsen coolers that need to be freshened up. I called DO in Fresno, and they said for 65 bucks they would go through it. Should I just do it myself?? Rex sells the o-ring kits for about 17 bucks or so .thanks Rick

dmontzsta
    Its not worth it, they are pretty much junk at this point. I will take them off your hands, send them over to me. You are better off buying a new one.

flat broke
    As long as you have a way to pressure test the cores to make sure that water and oil aren't mixing, I'd say save the $. But remember, if those deals take a crap, your oil system goes poop in a hurry. It's one of those areas where if you feel 100% confident that you can properly test it, there is no reason to pay the extra money. But if you're not 100% confident, do you feel lucky enough to trust the well being of your mill to a gamble that costs less than $100?
    Chris

lilrick
    ....nice try lil buddy, see yuh this weekend.

lilrick
    As long as you have a way to pressure test the cores to make sure that water and oil aren't mixing, I'd say save the $. But remember, if those deals take a crap, your oil system goes poop in a hurry. It's one of those areas where if you feel 100% confident that you can properly test it, there is no reason to pay the extra money. But if you're not 100% confident, do you feel lucky enough to trust the well being of your mill to a gamble that costs less than $100?
    Chris
    good point!

obnoxious001
    Having rebuilt quite a few of them,, I would say buy the kits and do it yourself. At least you can pull them apart and see if there are any obvious problems. Dan does sell the end caps separately, as they are the only aluminum pieces that see water and may corrode. Make sure to check all tubes for obstructions and dirt, and remember that oil flows over the outsides of the tubes,, so make sure it is really clean before and while you are reassembling it.

lilrick
    thanks

paradigm shift
    Little off topic and maybe a dump question here but you guys seem to know the Olsen coolers. I have an Olsen cooler and was considering using it on a 502MPI running around 500+HP. Stock Mercury cooler is a little small on long runs above 3800rpm. This is in a 29' vee so it can see extended runs above 4000 and WFO and I do not want to worry about oil temp. Had Olsen cooler in a flat bottom and it did not see high rpm for long periods.
    Question I have is do you think the Olsen cooler will be enough. Warm Havasu weather and water. I was considering a bigger cooler with thermostat control but if the Olsen would work I could just by the thermosat control. Or I could sell the Olsen and buy a thermostat control oil cooler in one. What are your thoughts.
    Thanks