Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil cooler and chroming Q....

YeLLowBoaT
    I was doing some reading up on oil coolers when I read where chroming your oil cooler can cut down its cooling capiicty bu 25-50%.... is this true??? or just BS to get you buy the $300 more Al model?

TexasJet
    I am not sure of the % but it's true chrome oil coolers are less efficient. The chrome tends to hold the heat in. If Al in your post stands for aluminum I wouldn't think you need something that exotic for a lake boat. I bought a cooler from CP Performance for my new motor and it is steel. I got it painted and it works quite well.

502 JET
    If the chrome is only on the outside I dont see how it would affect the coolers ability to exchange heat.Unless the oil cooler was just a heat sink and did not have water flowing thru it.Oil flows thru the tubes of a cooler and water is flowing around them carries the heat away.How would chroming affect the coolers ability to dissipate heat?The cooler manufacturers must have tested this.

TexasJet
    If the chrome is only on the outside I dont see how it would affect the coolers ability to exchange heat.Unless the oil cooler was just a heat sink and did not have water flowing thru it.Oil flows thru the tubes of a cooler and water is flowing around them carries the heat away.How would chroming affect the coolers ability to dissipate heat?The cooler manufacturers must have tested this.
    OK, now this is probably going to get interesting. It is my understanding that water flows thru the tubes. As an example, in the petro-chem world we always pipe the water thru the tubes in heat exchangers. An engineer told me since the outside surface of the tube is bigger that the inside, it absorbs more heat if you put the liquid to be cooled on the outside of the tube. Now, on to chroming. Metal is porous, this helps in cooling efficiency. When you chrome metal you are filling in the pores with what ever it is that makes the chrome shiney. This filling in process reduces the cooling efficiency. Let the debate begin.

superdave013
    This filling in process reduces the cooling efficiency. Let the debate begin.
    and your paint did the same filling in process. But if you ask me it's so small it's kinda moot. Unlike industrial applications where the cooling water is recycled through an air to water exchanger we just pick up freash cool lake water. What a deal.
    But if you are looking for that last .099% out of your heat exchanger then leave it bare. I'm painting mine.

superdave013
    and TexasJet is correct, water goes to the end caps (through the tubes) and oil goes around the tubes via the side ports.

502 JET
    Regardless of were the oil is running through the cooler how would chroming the outside housing decrease its cooling ability?There is nothing obstructing the oil contact to the cooling tubes if the chrome is only on the outside.If the manufacturers are relying on air passing around the outside of the cooler for it to work you would think they would have an aluminum fined heat sink on the outside of the cooler to increase its heat dissipation.

superdave013
    they say the outside case won't disapate the heat as well. Like I said, if you are looking for the very last .099% leave it raw ugly cupernickle.

maxwedge
    I have always been told that a flat black surface radiates heat better than a shiney surface. I have read that a black painted surface actually radiates heat better than a bare metal surface...Having said that it would make a lot more difference if it were an air cooled oil cooler or radiator or the fins on an air cooled angine, something of that nature. Since it's water cooled, I would have to agree that it probably makes very little difference wether or not you chrome it especially on the outside.

Wicked Performance Boats
    This is the most intelligent answer here. Cold water is pumped thru the exchanger. The outside of the cooler does nothing. Polish it and it will look killer and work great!!!!! Budlight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast