Thread: Carburetor Problems

sotally-tober
    I have been having problems with my carburetor. I rebuilt it and during the process I discovered that the threading where the needle went was somehow stripped. The vibration of the motor causes the needle to slide down and eventually cut off the gas flow. My question is can I buy just a new chamber, or do I have to get a whole new carb? Or could a machine shop rethread it and still have the hole small enough for the needle to fit properly?

Moneypitt
    I have been having problems with my carburetor. I rebuilt it and during the process I discovered that the threading where the needle went was somehow stripped. The vibration of the motor causes the needle to slide down and eventually cut off the gas flow. My question is can I buy just a new chamber, or do I have to get a whole new carb? Or could a machine shop rethread it and still have the hole small enough for the needle to fit properly?
    Do you mean the threads in the bowl that hold the needle and seat assembly? What carb is it? Most of the Holley bowls are interchangeable, that is primary for primary, secondary for secondary, (the threaded inlets being the deciding factor). I'm sure you can find a used bowl, or new for a little more $. I have several bowls kicking around from years of not throwing "anything" away. So, what carb do you have and what area do you live in. Someone in your area will have something, maybe??? MP

sotally-tober
    its a 4 barrel holley. the threads in the bowl are the stripped ones (i wish it was only the needle threads).

sotally-tober
    i live in victorville, ca. its the high desert of so cal

Moneypitt
    i live in victorville, ca. its the high desert of so cal
    Is it the primary or secondary bowl, and is it a single feed, or dual feed. Someone in the Palmdale/Victorville/Barstow area might jump up here to help you, OR, be more spicific about the carb, maybe a List #, and if need be, I'll dig through my stuff and see if I have what you need. I'll be coming through Victorville in a couple of weeks, headed to Burley, via Vegas, so we can plan to meet up, IF I have what you need, and I probably do. My trip starts the evening of the 22nd, so let me know. In the mean time, someone else may step up.............MP
    PS: If I have it, and you can wait, it'll be a freebie.........

sotally-tober
    well, its the primary bowl, single feed. i appriciate your help, but i have to get it running for fathers day. it sounds like i could just pick one up at an auto parts store, but the guy at auto zone said i would have to get the whole carb ( sounds like somebodys trying to make a extra buck)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    well, its the primary bowl, single feed. i appriciate your help, but i have to get it running for fathers day. it sounds like i could just pick one up at an auto parts store, but the guy at auto zone said i would have to get the whole carb ( sounds like somebodys trying to make a extra buck)
    Get the list # off the front of the carburetor then call Summit and order a new float bowl for that specific carb. Also include a pack of bowl and metering block gaskets (cheap), you might need them.

pebo
    I have a 750 dual feed, with the fuel line (Vacume Sec.) that came off my Flattie. It ran fine and is good shape. Let me know i'm in Apple valley your neighbor.

Moneypitt
    Jeeezzze, there has to be a quadzillion of those things out there. Sounds like an 1850 list #, and those primary bowls are all the same. As Jerry said, call a real parts "supplier", instead of the local grocery getter parts store. And yes, you would have to buy the whole carb at any chain type store. Are there any carb rebuilder shops in your area? Chances are you could get a bowl for 10 or 15 bucks, but you'll stiill need the bowl and mettering block gaskets as well as the secondary supply tube O rings.....MP
    PS: This carb does NOT have externally adjustable floats right????