Thread: Alternator or no alternator ? ? ? ?

DUECE'SDAD
    I have a question i am trying to answer for a friend of mine. I have always ran an alternator, he is saying that he can run his motor on a magneto and use the battery to start it, run the two electric fuel pumps, and the nitrous system, then charge the battery when he gets home, and do it again the next day !!! What do ou guy sthink

river redy
    That what I do and carry an extra battery with me so one is always charged and depending on how much he uses his boat, the only thing i can see is running 2 pumps, because you always want a full supply of juice to them.

dmontzsta
    I have always ran an alternator, it is less of a PITA. I do not like taking the battery out each time. Especially if you are away from home, then you have to bring your battery charger and haul it and the battery in to your hotel room. Sure an alternator uses a little hp, but you do not have to worry about the battery.

Cole Man II
    I see alot of the race boats without alternators, but you also see then on battery chargers when in the pitts.
    If he plans to use the boat for the lake, I would suggest running the alternator. It will save time and effort.

DUECE'SDAD
    alrighty then this just gives proof that it is much easy to run an alternator, thanks guys

HighVoltage 329
    I'm finally installing an altanater so I can get rid of the mag and run MSD. I'd don't think it's a good idea to run electrical fuel pump without an altanater.

mach1alaska
    My last 3 boats including my hydro that I am building now do not have alternators. I use a group 29 marine battery and have never had a problem even with electric fuel pump and electronic ignition.