Thread: Tunnels, how good are they??

Ziggy
    Trying to figure out some things about tunnel hulls in general. I read lots of things of how well the handle rough water conditions and speed but I was wondering how they do as far as towing a skier or tube with our kids?
    We're not speed demons so thats not exactly what we're after, but we do want to improve our ride over the rough chop now previlant in Havasu. More of a family type boat usage is what we are after.
    Can any of you tunnel fans give some tips??Eliminater??, Cheetah's?? or others in the 22-24' range.
    Thanks,
    Ziggy

Havasu Cig
    If you are looking in the 22-24 range I would stick with a v. The 24 Skater is the only cat in that size range that I can think of that will not beat you up on a rough day at Havasu.
    You need to look at the 25+ range if you want to handle the rough days at Havasu, and even then when it gets really bad you will want 30+.
    Our Mach 26's worked well out there, but when it was really rough it would still beat you up a little.

25 Eagle
    Cig...what kind of speeds to get a nice ride in say 1'-2'ers? Ziggy if your not a speed demon a Vee with the same power will run with a cat up to about 70, and ins. is about 1/2 the price or more. Around here it seems like a cat the doesn't run in the 100's just doesn't get it. The bar is raise very high. I'd pass on the cat unless you want lots of speed because of the insurance.

DogHouse
    Ziggy:
    Trying to figure out some things about tunnel hulls in general. I read lots of things of how well the handle rough water conditions and speed but I was wondering how they do as far as towing a skier or tube with our kids?
    We're not speed demons so thats not exactly what we're after, but we do want to improve our ride over the rough chop now previlant in Havasu. More of a family type boat usage is what we are after.
    Can any of you tunnel fans give some tips??Eliminater??, Cheetah's?? or others in the 22-24' range.
    Thanks,
    Ziggy The Cheetah open bow tunnel is about the most versatile tunnel boat I can think of in that size range. It's a fantastic ski boat because it leaves almost no wake, hops on plane quickly, and turns like a slot car. The open bow makes it roomy and user friendly for beaching and camping. Rough water ride would be better than what you have now but still not what I would call smooth on a rough afternoon. To really smooth out the big stuff you need to step up to the 25+ ft cat like others have mentioned. A smaller cat like a 22 Daytona is going to ride similar to the Cheetah but have less usable room inside. I haven't spent much time in V hulls so I really can't make a direct comparison size for size, cat vs V.
    -brian

Skullinator
    Hey if you want a smooth ride in just about any condition you should buy Bling Bling's boat.or for about 100K less and almost any condition you can buy Tom Slicks boat.or what the hell if you want to stick with the Vee bottom Buy 3 days only boat.But for sking 3 days only boat or Boat floating will give you a solid ride on most weekends.

Havasu Cig
    25 Eagle,
    Are you asking me what kind of speeds could I run in in 1'-2' in our mach 26? If so I could run about 105 mph. That is the fastest I saw when i had the last Mach. If it gets any bigger than that it gets a little scarrier.

SS Havabrew
    I own a Cheetah 23 Scorpion and love it! It handles the rough stuff pretty well but haven't had it out on a REALLY rough day yet. It does well on the normal lake chop. I would recommend one for sure, and the $$ is right! smile_sp

Ziggy
    Thanks for everyones input--all valuable.