Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Theater ?

Rod-64
    Need to buy a new HT receiver in the $5-600 range...........looking at Harmon Kardon which I used to have and a Denon..........the reviews say the wattage on the Denens are supurb and crisp/clear. The only negative..on the Denon, was the remote was too big and sloppy.
    Any feedback on Denon?
    Thanks!

little rowe boat
    I have an entire Denon system and I love it. If I was to replace it with something else, I would probably check out Yamaha electronics.

Jesster
    I have had 3 Denon recievers and couldnt be happier I currently have the AVR-3805 and love it. It can be had for less than the 1200.00 MSRP but you give up factory Authorized service. It is still warrantied but not through the factory. I personally have never had to have any Denon product serviced and have had 2 CD players, a DVD player and 3 recievers over the years. I think the 2807 would be a close replacement feature wise and has 1080P switching if you have a top of the line TV. Most times you would still be better off just connecting from your vid source directly to the TV anyway but its always fun to check. But this all depends on what you are using it for and where. What speakers are you driving with it?

STV_Keith
    I really like the Yamaha DSP stuff for home theater. The DSP-A1 was their flagship unit a few years ago, coming it at around $3000. You can get them used on Ebay now for $300-$400 or so. A REALLY great unit with more features than many will ever use, good built in power and lots of inputs/outputs. 7-channel Dolby 5.1 etc.

Rod-64
    I have had 3 Denon recievers and couldnt be happier I currently have the AVR-3805 and love it. It can be had for less than the 1200.00 MSRP but you give up factory Authorized service. It is still warrantied but not through the factory. I personally have never had to have any Denon product serviced and have had 2 CD players, a DVD player and 3 recievers over the years. I think the 2807 would be a close replacement feature wise and has 1080P switching if you have a top of the line TV. Most times you would still be better off just connecting from your vid source directly to the TV anyway but its always fun to check. But this all depends on what you are using it for and where. What speakers are you driving with it?
    I will be useing all Bose speakers and using the High-Def satellite receiver through a Mitsubishi HD tv.

TRUMP TIGHT
    Need to buy a new HT receiver in the $5-600 range...........looking at Harmon Kardon which I used to have and a Denon..........the reviews say the wattage on the Denens are supurb and crisp/clear. The only negative..on the Denon, was the remote was too big and sloppy.
    Any feedback on Denon?
    Thanks!
    You are looking at the 2 best brands out there right now that fall in your price range. The Harmon Kardon would be my first choice and Denon second but both are supperb!

rivercrazy
    Either brand is solid. But personally, I prefer the Harman. I have two and they are very reliable powerhouses.

beyondhelpin
    Denon is good. I have the 3802 which is about 5 or 6 years old. Looked at the Harmon Kardon and really liked the sound, but the reviews were bad for reliability. I dont think you can go wrong with Denon or Yamaha for the money.
    Bose speakers suck. So many better options for the money. IMHO

sleek23
    I have a harmon now and have had for a few years. Love it. Great power and clean sound.

Jesster
    I will be useing all Bose speakers and using the High-Def satellite receiver through a Mitsubishi HD tv.
    I hate bagging on speakers so I won't. I will say that if you plan on using HK or Denon as a reciever, I hope you plan on a speaker upgrade and if not don't spend all the extra money on the HK/Denon stuff go with Pioneer/Sony. I am also not saying anything bad about those 2 brands bang for the buck they are the way to go if you only ever plan on driving the Bose speakers. The big advantage of the HK/Denon's is the sound quality/quality of the amplifier section. This quality would be overkill for Bose speakers in general. Bose are great speakers for what they were designed for and thats an affordable HT speaker system for small areas where space is an issue and a speaker that blends well with the surroundings. The Sony/Pioneer will have most of the same bells and whistles and wont cost as much, you will never notice the sound difference using the Bose speakers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast