Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set Up Questions

vdrivenman
    purchased a used boat and need some advice on the motor height/ angle & jack plate. not as concerned with speed as with secure/safe handling.
    the hull is a 19.5ft, 86 liberator p/f tunnel with a stock rude 255 xp with nose cone running a yamaha 26 over hub prop. years ago had a same brand & length boat ,but with 235 johnson w land & sea torque shift prop.
    with motor trimmed down as far as possible(will not tuck back under pad due to height) & leaving trimmed down, launches good & hooks up in about two seconds carries nose and accelerates good,but nearing big end starts to either chine walk or fly a little. then when slowing down ass end wants to walk a little.
    previous owner has NEVER trimmed the motor up. i did and it continued to accelerate and wanted to smooth out, but nose lifted very quickly and i figured not to push it till determining if set up is correct & more seat time.
    been years since i owned this type set up so need advice. thanks for it and be patient.
    can possibly send some pic's of present set up.

vdrivenman
    alll you outboard guru's and no one can help me ???
    guess i'll have to try another place !

blender over
    i have a 21 ft liberator where my nose cone is 1 inch below the center sponson, seems to work good for safety, top and bottom end.
    I dont have a hydraulic jack plate either so i leave it right there.
    225 merc with a 25 pitch ballistic 4 blade prop at 6800 rpm's 84 mpg gps.
    btw, i can trim until the prop will start to cavatate at any speed.
    does that help??? :boxed:

vdrivenman
    yes thank u BO.
    the jack plate is stationary, does the motor sit flat or 90 degree on the j plate. this one has a wedge wide at top narrow at bottom.
    so u can trim up and the prop will blow out before it (boat) gets to high or flighty ?
    thanks again !

h2oski2fast
    Sounds to me like the motor is set to low. This will cause a lot of tail lift and make for an unstable ride.

blender over
    yes thank u BO.
    the jack plate is stationary, does the motor sit flat or 90 degree on the j plate. this one has a wedge wide at top narrow at bottom.
    so u can trim up and the prop will blow out before it (boat) gets to high or flighty ?thanks again !
    oh it will get flighty, but then i start to trim down, its a learning curve, i trim up high to get rpms out of the boat then trim down a little for safty until the rpm's start to drop. :rollside:

vdrivenman
    the tip of the nose cone is 4 & 3/4 inches below the pad. the jack plate sits off 7 inches and with the wedges puts the motor at around 10.5 inches from the transom.
    so from what i am reading & understanding correctly. i need to come up with the motor to a point of 1 to 1.5 inches belwo the pad.
    what about the jack plate & transom?

Boatmaster
    Raise your motor up. Sounds very low to me. You should be able to run the prop shaft at least even with the bottom with no problem. This should calm the boat down and require less trim. Watch your water pressure!

vdrivenman
    a couple of pic's where it is now ! i;ll go to 1 inch below he pad & start there.

HavasuDreamin'
    I have a 19' Daytona which the Liberator is a splash of. I run my prop shaft even with the bottom of the center pod and the boat handles great. The only slight unsecure feeling I get is when I let off the throttle after a top end run. The back end slides to the left a little bit. This is normal for my boat and I have gotten use to it. In no way does it feel like it is going to dump me.
    Make sure to run 10 lbs of water pressure at a minimum. I run 12-15 lbs. If the boat continues to feel flightly, get rid of that bow lifting prop and run either an ET style prop or a cleaver.
    Also, make sure you use that "transom saver", the brace from your trailer to your lower unit. I had to replace my transom once due to not using one. :yuk: Put a wrench on the bolts periodically that attach your jack plate/motor bracket to your hull. I put a wrench on mine every 2 or 3 times out.
    Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast