Thread: Speaker maintenance

voodoomedman
    So I was just wondering...........
    What can I do to make sure my speakers last in the weather? Everything is JL Audio. I kinda already figured to blow any dust off of them but is there any kind of protectant or something to put on em or whatever? Just want to maintain the tunes as well as the rest of the boat.

voodoomedman
    There's no maintenance for speakers, per se. I would keep them clean. If they have butyl rubber surrounds, you could also treat the rubber, but I've never found it necessary. One thing you can do to make them last longer is to let them "warm up" when you first turn them on. Like any moving mechanical structure, they will sound better and last longer if you warm them up by keeping the volume at a low to moderate level for the first 15-30 minutes.
    Cool thanks. The boat is stored in the garage and even though the stereo can get loud we don't usually turn it up that much. Actually the loudest we usually go is to be able to hear it while underway but I'll keep the 15-30 minutes in mind.

DILLIGAF
    I just pee around mine so everybody will stay away from them

phebus
    It's a proven fact that country western music destroys speakers. Keep that shiot off, and your speakers will be fine

voodoomedman
    It's a proven fact that country western music destroys speakers. Keep that shiot off, and your speakers will be fine
    I thought it was gangsta rap you had to watch out for. One too many f bombs in one song might blow a cone.