Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alternator help

IT'SONLYMONEY
    They're worth about $1, so yes. You have a battery isolator in your boat, I'm assuming, it's called a Perko switch.
    yes but i thought the perko makes the alternator eithor see all four at once or one to two to three etc. doesn't the isolater come off the alternator and then to each individual batt only charging the batts that need it?

KREGER
    i'm running two blue tops and two deep cycles that get worked out pretty hard with the stereo. four 12's and eight highs and mids and about 4thousand watts. what size alternator do you suggest to keep the batts charged when running.
    thank you
    chuck
    I have the same setup. I put in a 200AMP alternator and it was not as effective as I had hoped. ShockWaveBob' s point about the lack of charging poential is true. If I was to do it again I would have bought the powerful charger they are suggesting before a larger Alternator. I am sure mine helps "keep" the charge up in the batteries when they are up, but it does not seem to charge them up as they drain out. I tried to see if I could get them back up one day with out running the system. Did not work. I ordered a PSA-75 to charge my batteries for now until the generator comes later.

Beer-30
    They're worth about $1, so yes. You have a battery isolator in your boat, I'm assuming, it's called a Perko switch.
    These cost a little more than a dollar, but save from flipping a seat up every stop. Automatically isolates when voltage drops (no alternator voltage).
    http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Product_id=53476

BADASS38CHEVY
    This is the hot ticket. But in the APS 75 http://www.cascadeaudio.com/aut2_aps.html

IT'SONLYMONEY
    i think i finally understand. thank you very much guys. very helpfull
    chuck

Beer-30
    Basically, an isolator (automatic one) has three terminals:
    Battery 1 (main for starting)
    Battery 2 (say 3 optimas for stereo)
    Alternator (self explanatory)
    There are two types of auto iso's. One just simply uses a wire that would be energized with the ignition switch. When turned on, it closes the connection between all of those posts - allowing the alt to charge all 4.
    Another type (more complex and trick) senses voltage above 12.8-13 volts and connects all together. Therefore, when the engine is off, and the alternator is not putting out it's 14+ volts, the iso opens and separates the two terminals. Engine started, 14+ volts, iso closes and connects all.
    Perko does the same, but manually. The main drawback to a Perko, is that in a drunken stuper, boat owners tend to forget to switch and iso the stereo. Therefore, after reaching for several MORE beers, click-ick-ick-ick.
    Um, not that um, that has ever, um happened to, um me.

77charger
    I also run an isolator and a 100 amp alternator.I would usulally killl stereo batt then run off main batt for a while when i started and left perko on both and batts low it would strain the alt could smell it hot so i would have to turn perko to 1 batt only.Now with the isolator i dont worry about it and it does a better job keeping an even charge.
    I was able to still have a wire from second batt to perko if a jump is needed but thats it and mainly use perko to turn off batt 1(starting).As for the isolator mine has 2 terminals for spare batts and 1 for starting plus the terminal for alt.

IT'SONLYMONEY
    Basically, an isolator (automatic one) has three terminals:
    Battery 1 (main for starting)
    Battery 2 (say 3 optimas for stereo)
    Alternator (self explanatory)
    There are two types of auto iso's. One just simply uses a wire that would be energized with the ignition switch. When turned on, it closes the connection between all of those posts - allowing the alt to charge all 4.
    Another type (more complex and trick) senses voltage above 12.8-13 volts and connects all together. Therefore, when the engine is off, and the alternator is not putting out it's 14+ volts, the iso opens and separates the two terminals. Engine started, 14+ volts, iso closes and connects all.
    Perko does the same, but manually. The main drawback to a Perko, is that in a drunken stuper, boat owners tend to forget to switch and iso the stereo. Therefore, after reaching for several MORE beers, click-ick-ick-ick.
    Um, not that um, that has ever, um happened to, um me.
    are you running the one that you sent me the link to?

Beer-30
    are you running the one that you sent me the link to?
    Not yet. Probably that one, though. Here is another that is in the running:
    http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...ttery-chargers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12