Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tahoe question

Acommanderguy
    Hey guys have a question. I bought this tahoe last year and have only used it once to tow to havasu. I know that next week is going to be really hot. I do not drive during the day. Anyways I have 119,000 on my 5.3 motor and It has a 8 inch lift with 36 inch super swampers.(not regeared) Anyways I have some concerns with it maybe over heating towing up the grapevine the truck likes to run at 230 or so. One guy that is fine and that in some cases the truck will run to 240. Another guy told that I shouldnt let it get up to 230. Also what kind of oil I should run? I run valoline 5w-30 in it, and change the oil every 3,000 miles.Its always clean. I was thinking of going with synthetic. Has anyone had any problems with this motor. I used it memorial day weekend and the truck did great. I have noticed that when I get on it the truck will climb up to 5500 and than shift. Chevy told me that is normal. I dunno any info that you guys have would be great.
    Thanks Anthony
    here is a pic
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...asupics078.jpg

MagicMtnDan
    Dang, 5.3L motor, 8 inch lift, 36 inch tires towing up the Grapevine! You need a new truck!
    Good luck!

Acommanderguy
    Dan she cruises. I must say it pulls very well up the grapevine

Acommanderguy
    anyone please?

YeLLowBoaT
    1st turn off the AC
    2nd if you start to get hot turn on the heater. It will cool of the coolent.
    Take your time going up the hill... if you get any1 honking and sh*t... tell them too "fook off, i'm going boating."

Jyruiz
    I would be more concern with the tranny overheating than the motor, but just keep it in tow mode and take it easy up the grapevine.

MrsSigEpMock
    anyone please?
    I would recommend using a heavier oil, maybe 10 50 with those miles and the heat. If you've always regular don't switch to synthetic and visa versa.
    Does yours have a Tow/Haul button? use it.
    Have you considered getting a programmer for it?
    Also, maybe ask about changing the thermostat to a cooler running one.
    look under tow rig sections, guys like to give advice all day long on there! Good Luck!

Acommanderguy
    Thanks guys maybe I should clearify. I am going to havasu. I use to the grapevine to go to pyramid. I was just worried about the heat since its going to be real hot going to havi nextweekend

voodoomedman
    Why don't you regear it. I have a 4.8 with 35" tires but I have a 4.56 gear. My boat is kept in Havi but the few times I have brought her home I had no problems going up Cajon pass and all the grades on the 40. The dang thing purrs along at like 2200 rpm.

CHEETAH24
    Use the tow/haul button it increases trans line pressure so it takes longer to shift(5500 would be normal).use synthetic oil and take your time.
    p.s. when using tow/haul take it out of overdrive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast