Thread: What do I need to know about jets???

THEPISTONHEAD
    Im in the market for a good affordable jet. I would like a manufacturer with good resale value and quality. I dont know a damn thing about jets and all the bolt on mods etc.... What should I be looking for.
    What are the good brands and mods done to these boats to give performance and still maintain reliability.
    stuff like droop snoots, impellars etc.....
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Jason

lilrick
    1.JETS SUCK
    2.full length stringers(IMO)
    3.big block chevy
    4.berkley pump
    5.tandem axle trailer

dragboat
    1.JETS SUCK
    2.full length stringers(IMO)
    3.big block chevy
    4.berkley pump
    5.tandem axle trailer
    Check the bottom to see if it's strait, it's a pricey fix. Make sure the stringers are not rotted, also an expensive fix.

El Prosecutor
    Know what you want before you shop. There is a big difference between shopping for a family ski boat like mine and a 70 mph + river racer. If I were going to start over I would spend a week scouring this forum and familiarizing myself with the common issues that come up before shopping.
    If you want speed get a big block Chevy, just because they are the easiest to get boat-specific performance parts for.
    Olds are dependable for family boats but are difficult and spendier to get performance parts for and require oiling modifications to run at high rpms.
    Whatever you get, drive it before you buy it.
    Ask what maintenance has been done to the jet. If the previous owner doesn't on their own mention regularly greasing the thrust bearing on the jet, beware. When the thrust bearing fails the jet fails. Listen for vibrations and noise from the jet when it is running. Open the handhole and see if the impeller has contacted the wear ring. If you see any jagged edges or burrs it means jet rebuild time.
    If you want to get real cautious, take a handheld GPS unit with you on the test drive and record the rpm and speed at cruise and at near top speed. Do not trust a non-gps in dash boat speedometer. Find out the impeller size and brand and consult an impeller reference chart or post the results here on the boards and ask the experts, and see if the numbers add up. To us newbs sometimes a worn out jet will seem like it is going faster than it really is just because the engine is revving higher.
    A diverter or trim device is highly desirable on any jet, by itself is worth about $600 and they are hard to come by used. If you don't get one now you will want one later.
    Look at all the wood you can access, including the seat bottoms and inspect for rot. Check the engine oil for water contamination. A little might be condensation, a lot could be a big problem. These are just some random thoughts, and I am not pretending to be an expert; I just bought my first jet in September '05 and these are just things I would have liked to have known or done.
    You are two steps ahead of the game by posting here before you buy - there are many real experts here who are willing to help, and you will almost always get good responses to any questions you post. Also, learn to use the search function to search previous posts. There is a gold mine of all things jet boat in the archives.
    Good luck - and prepare yourself for the addiction. I am 39 yrs. old, and this is the best hobby I have ever had.

atxwrangler
    Don't Let Travel Stop You From Buying The Right Boat.there Was A Nica Ass Rogers In The Spam Section A Few Days Ago,great Boat At A Great Price. I Will Find It And Bump It To The Top For You.it Is A Full Stringer Boat And Rides Great.i Know ,i Have One.

centerhill condor
    check with your insurance agent... they're several things they don't like... over transom headers, hopped up motors, special hulls, etc... few things are as frustrating as having your new boat and not being able to insure it.
    and like the other guy said, know what you want before you get it... a jet drive can be a wonderful low maintenance piece. I haven't had the valve covers off and am pleased with mid 50's mph. If you want to go fast be prepared to twist some wrenches and spend some overtime!
    in the movie "failure to launch" the lead male says, "you don't want a boat. you want the idea of having a boat. owning a boat takes up too much of your time, money, and passion". or something like that.
    best of luck!

THEPISTONHEAD
    Awesome advice guys. Thanks You. Keep the suggestions coming, and that is an excellent idea on using the search function. Thanks again.

No Deposit
    First decide what you want to do with it, family Jets don't go fast and fast Jets aren't family friendly.
    Tunnels are my choice for a lot of reasons, ride, speed, looks, access, etc.
    This is going to sound trivial, but if you have to maneuver the boat at home by yourself it is next to impossible with a tandem axle trailer.
    You are in the land of some nice Jets, have patience. Like everyone else says, "do your homework" first. Ask a lot of questions. . . . .
    I've traveled to Texas for my last two Jets.
    _____