Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human Resources Question, Holidays

Nubbs
    Our employee handbook reads as follows:
    "Full-time employees are provided with paid company holidays on the following days:
    New Years Day"
    This year, we are open both the 30th and the 2nd. We do not get a day off for New Years. The owner doesn't want to take a day off since some of our biggest customers will be open. Also, since New Years is on Sunday, we don't have to be given a day off. So, my question is this, knowing what is stated in the employee handbook, what is the company required to give the employees for New Years Day? I think it is BS that we don't get a day off.
    Thanks
    Nubbs

Havasu_Dreamin
    The generally accepted practice is to at least give Monday off.

spectratoad
    I don't think a company HAS to give anyone a day off. It is part of the things you look at when you take a job and most employers have a list of observed holidays and that is pretty standard across the employer sector.
    Alot of companies give the Monday or Friday off if the "observed" holiday falls on the weekend.
    Is new years a day off or is it just needed as a day of recovery?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Thats a tough one. First off, your company sucks for making you work on monday. Monday is the official legal holiday. I am pretty sure banks, governement, etc. is closed on monday. I say that if the policy is New Years day is paid, then they have to pay you. New Years was on saturday last year, what did they do last year?

Nubbs
    I agree the company shouldn't be required to give days off. However, the employee handbook says New Years Day is a paid holiday. Is the company required by law to abide by the handbook? Or is the handbook just a bunch of bs? I would think we have to be paid as a minimum.
    Last year we closed a few hours early on Friday.

LHC30Victory
    Our MOU states that we get the holiday off and when it falls on the weekend, we get the Friday off if the holiday falls on Sat, and Monday off if the holiday falls on Sunday.
    In your case, since it is not specified, the business is giving you sunday off, so having to work monday is not an issue - contract wise- but I would interpret the contract to read that you should be paid for Sunday!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Our MOU states that we get the holiday off and when it falls on the weekend, we get the Friday off if the holiday falls on Sat, and Monday off if the holiday falls on Sunday.
    In your case, since it is not specified, the business is giving you sunday off, so having to work monday is not an issue - contract wise- but I would interpret the contract to read that you should be paid for Sunday!
    I agree with this.

a catered life
    The generally accepted practice is to at least give Monday off.
    agreed like us we got friday off

superdave013
    - but I would interpret the contract to read that you should be paid for Sunday!
    And make 'em pay ya double time for it too!
    ho ho ho

Nubbs
    I agree with this.
    Me too. I'm not too concerned about the day off. I can take a vacation day if I want it off. However, this is about the principle (sp?). The company made a handbook and the employees are supposed to abide by it. The company should also abide by the handbook. I can pretty much guarantee you if I went around and grabbed every female's a$$, I would be fired for sexual harrasment because the handbook says we don't tolerate sexual harrasment. The company needs to abide by the handbook 100% or it needs to be thrown away. The company should not be able to do whatever it wants when it wants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast